Associate Director – Health Initiatives
About the American Kidney Fund
The American Kidney Fund (AKF) is the nation’s leading kidney nonprofit fighting kidney disease on all fronts. We are proud to be recognized as one of the top 50 nonprofit employers in the United States by The Nonprofit Times. AKF is one of the nation’s top-rated nonprofits, investing 97 cents of every donated dollar in programs, and holds the highest 4-Star rating from Charity Navigator and the Platinum Seal of Transparency from GuideStar. We are able to reach this level of efficiency and effectiveness because of our incredible team.
About the position
The Associate Director of Health Initiatives contributes to the strategic vision and full implementation of American Kidney Fund’s (AKF) outreach programs and initiatives. American Kidney Fund’s (AKF) outreach programs and initiatives are designed to educate and raise awareness of kidney disease, its associated risks, and address the related health disparities. Responsibilities will revolve around program implementation and executing associated deliverables among four key pillars of focus: 1. Prevention 2. access to home dialysis treatments 3. clinical trials and 4. kidney transplantation. This position will work collaboratively with internal departments and with external partner representatives. These programs are intended to engage the public and allied health professionals.
Are you someone who is:
- Collaborative: Ability to work cross-functionally with internal teams and external partners.
- Creative: Contribute to the design and development of abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and exhibit materials for scientific and public health conferences.
- Detail oriented: Can edit, review, and fact check outreach and educational materials and communications.
Every member of the health initiatives team is hands-on and is able to see the direct results of their efforts. Join the team and grow professionally while making a difference in the lives of people living with kidney disease.
In addition to your competitive salary, paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal days; health, dental and vision coverage; life insurance and disability coverages; and a generous matching 403(b) retirement plan, we’ll shower you with perks, including:
- Culture: We make sure our team knows how much they are valued demonstrated through our Quality Work Environment (QWE) Task Force and employee-led recognition and social events throughout the year.
- Compressed work week: Start the weekend early with shorter workdays on Fridays – closing at 3 p.m. Labor Day to Memorial Day and 2 p.m. in the summer.
- Flexibility: Employees work from home three days a week.
- Clear expectations: You’ll know what you need to do to succeed; annual raises and bonuses for all employees are based on your performance.
- Location: Convenient location and a short walk to the popular Pike and Rose shopping center
- Parking: Arrive and leave work comfortably, thanks to an underground parking garage whose monthly cost is paid for by AKF. Metro subsidies are provided for those who do not drive.
- Dress code: Business casual through the week and casual on Fridays.
At AKF, we embrace diversity and emphasize the importance of working together as a staff to continue making the organization a great place to work.
- Manages kidney disease outreach, education and prevention programs, trainings, and partnership initiatives for people most at risk for kidney disease, and occasionally for kidney disease patients, transplant recipients, caregivers & families, and health-and-allied health professionals.
- Responsible for project and program planning, implementation, and evaluation activities in relation to the aforementioned four pillars of focus.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of health disparities on chronic disease prevalence among communities of color, specifically in relation to diabetes, hypertension and kidney disease.
- Develops project plans, timelines, tasks, analyses, and written reports; ensuring associated deadlines are met.
- Works with the Director of Health Initiatives to implement AKF’s programmatic vision for outreach, prevention and partnerships that aligns with the aforementioned four pillars of focus.
- Manages the delivery of outreach programs and initiatives ensuring they meet all goals and metrics related to impact and outcomes.
- Conducts frequent and ongoing evaluation activities of programs and initiatives, including needs assessments, environmental scans, and outcome evaluations to assess the effectiveness of programs. Provides ongoing recommendations to the Director of Health Initiatives to drive improvements.
- Works with Director of Health Initiatives in setting goals and capturing metrics toward the establishment of priorities and strategies.
- Edits, reviews, and fact checks outreach and educational materials and communications developed for AKF websites, social media, newsletters, emails, videos, factsheets, webinars, infographics, toolkits, blog posts, etc.
- Initiates and leads formative research via literature reviews, key informant interviews, and environmental scans to build the evidence base and framework for programs and initiatives.
- Supervises work of and conducts performance evaluations for Health Initiatives Assistants and/or interns
- Applies health equity framework for utilizing best practices and research informed strategies.
- Manages and leverages strategic partner relationships to further the reach and impact of programs, projects, presentations, and initiatives among existing and new audiences.
- Contributes to the development of abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and exhibit materials for scientific and public health conferences.
- Works with Director of Health Initiatives to inform annual budget and manages program expenses within budgetary constraints.
- Coordinates with external vendors to secure needed services for events or supportive expertise
- Actively participates with fundraising department to ensure supporting contributors receive the benefits outlined in their sponsorship agreements.
- Drafts, edits and assists with developing related business documents such as proposals, memoranda of understanding, letters of agreement, project summaries, and reports.
- Collaborates across departments, including Communications, Fundraising, Government Relations, and Operations to ensure developed materials and partnerships meet the needs of the entire organization
- Stays informed of emerging best practices, research, and community health standards related to health equity for the purpose of program application and improvement.
- Represents AKF in a professional manner through superior customer support and knowledge of AKF’s programs and services.
- Requires occasional overnight travel to locations outside of Rockville, MD (less than 10%).
- Performs additional related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in health-related or behavioral science field required in public health, health education, health promotion, community health, behavioral sciences, or related discipline.
- Graduate degree in public health or applicable discipline preferred.
- CPH, CHES/MCHES, CDCES PMP certifications a plus.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience in health-related organization, or another customer-oriented professional environment.
- At least 1-2 years of experience supervising staff, interns or volunteers preferred.
- Strong project and program management skills required. Must be able to conceptualize, plan, execute, and evaluate programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrated understanding of the impact of health disparities on chronic disease prevalence among communities of color, specifically in relation to diabetes, hypertension and kidney disease.
- Skilled in effective engagement with external stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Understanding of program management/evaluation, health education, health literacy/numeracy principles, plain language standards, cultural competency, behavior change theory and essentials of project management required.
- Demonstrated track record of applying concepts to scopes of work.
- Must be well-organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to successfully manage several deliverables simultaneously to meet varying deadlines.
- Excellent professional/technical communication skills, both verbal and written; with experience corresponding with various levels of professionals.
- Must be well organized and detail oriented with skill in research and budget management.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems in a timely and professional manner. Must possess strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly flexible, provide exemplary customer service, and work independently and in a team environment.
- Maintains and shares knowledge of current trends and developments in the field through reading professional literature and journals, and by attending related seminars and conferences.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of workplace professionalism and etiquette
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
- Valid driver’s license required, with dependable transportation.
- Ability to lift materials and boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work some weekends or evenings and occasional overnight travel, as required.
- Position is located in the AKF National Office in Rockville, MD.
AKF will be returning to the office on November 1, 2021, with employees working two days in the office and three days of telework. AKF requires employees to be fully vaccinated and the 14 day waiting period completed by November 1 or their first day of hire, whichever is later. A request for medical or religious accommodation may be provided and will be considered confidentially by HR on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-14