Associate Director, Integrated Supply and Trading Government Affairs
The Associate Director, Integrated Supply & Trading Regulatory Advocacy and Government Affairs is accountable for delivering objectives primarily in support of BP’s Integrated Supply and Trading Business. The Associate Director will manage state outreach to government officials, including public utility commissioners, coordinate regulatory agency advocacy, coordinate overall Communications & External Affairs support for the business and play a key role in planning and performance review processes.
The Associate Director is a strategic thinker who looks several moves ahead and develops and implements strategies to ensure BP’s corporate interests are advanced in states central to the business. This position reports to the Senior Director, Upstream Regulatory Advocacy, and will work collaboratively with other Communications & External Affairs (C&EA) personnel, including media affairs, and Regulatory Affairs personnel within each individual business.
The Associate Director is responsible for comprehensive public affairs service delivery, including tracking legislative activity within the states, collaborating with the business to formulate an engagement strategy in support of the business and delivering on that strategy. The Associate Director will have excellent communication skills – oral and written – and a track record showing how those skills have created value for an organization or business. By developing strong relationships, the Associate Director will learn BP’s business strategy and related objectives and will develop our engagement strategy to advance BP business objectives in the region. He or she will need to be able to identify emerging issues early and be able to recommend a path forward in response.
The Associate Director also will develop strong external relationships with communities, businesses, government, industry associations, advocacy groups and non-governmental organizations. The Associate Director will manage government affairs contractors and participate actively in trade association working groups.
Collaboration is a fundamental way of working for the Associate Director.The Associate Director will continuously collaborate with business representatives, the C&EA team, and relevant industry and advocacy organizations.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies to advance business priorities through effective advocacy, building coalitions and allies and engaging other voices to support business objectives.
- Develop and maintain strong external and internal networks and share context and information as appropriate. In support of business objectives, participate as requested with business teams.
- Working with contract government affairs professionals and trade associations, communicate BP’s policy positions with state government officials, including public utility commissioners.
- Prepare briefings, reports and presentations for business and functional leadership on relevant issues.
- Provide crisis management support to the business including participating in the IMT rotation.Network with peers in other states and Washington, DC to maximize information sharing, best practices and integrated approaches. Proactively identify opportunities for state and local C&EA engagement.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience, which can be in government affairs, public policy or other equivalent experience requiring skills such as strategic thinking, advocacy or stakeholder engagement.
- Deep knowledge of power markets and/or commodities trading.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Ability to understand the wider business context of issues, translate complex technical issues and communicate simply and powerfully
- Exceptional communication skills in public and private settings both in presentation and written formats
- Experience in planning and executing campaigns
- Ability to anticipate and interpret political developments, policy and legislative proposals
- Ability to write briefings, correspondence, and policy papers
- Ability to design and deliver pragmatic, fit-for-purpose strategies in line with business priorities and strategies
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Experience in the energy industry, especially oil and gas
- Deep knowledge of power markets and/or commodities trading is essential
- Well-developed network both inside and outside of BP
- Enjoys and has the capability for working with a global and diverse organization
- Consistently meets high standard of quality, performance, and productivity
- Produce desired results in a timely and highly proficient manner without supervision
- Team player in immediate work group as well as across the organization
- Very strong organizational skills and the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances
- Demonstrate absolute discretion in handling confidential data
- Seeks additional responsibilities and uses innovation to improve job knowledge and procedures.
Yes – Domestic (In country) only
Yes – up to 50%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
In America, we are the largest producer of domestic oil and gas and one of the largest energy investors. Our operations include the North Slope of Alaska, Gulf of Mexico, the refineries in the Midwest, West Coast, and Gulf Coast, a solar plant in Frederick Maryland and wind farms across the country. The Chairman and President is our most senior leader for BP in the US.
Corporate & Functions
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-25