Associate Director for Legislative Affairs
Serves as principal advisor to FASEB leadership on legislative strategies and advocacy initiatives related to life
sciences research. Develops and implements a successful legislative advocacy program and coordinates with
FASEB leadership, member societies, and external partners to achieve advocacy goals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Tracks congressional budget and appropriations process for the National Institutes of
Health, National Science Foundation, US Department of Agriculture, Department of
Energy Office of Science, and other issues as assigned.
2. Represents FASEB in meetings with members of Congress, congressional staff, federal
agency and administration officials, and stakeholders to communicate FASEB positions.
Shares FASEB resources with staff and relevant congressional committees to expand
visibility of the Federation on Capitol Hill.
3. Authors bi-weekly column and other articles for the Washington Update newsletter.
Prepares correspondence, congressional testimony, position statements, e-action alerts,
background materials, talking points, charts/graphs, PowerPoint presentations, and issue
summaries on assigned portfolio of issues. Advises FASEB leadership and member
societies on legislative strategies to achieve advocacy goals.
4. Develops advocacy initiatives and facilitates access through in-person meetings and
electronic communications to members of Congress and congressional staff on behalf of
5. Represents FASEB in stakeholder coalitions to maintain FASEB’s presence as a
prominent and effective voice in the research advocacy community.
6. Coordinates FASEB advocacy initiatives with member society public affairs staff,
including staffing society Capitol Hill Days. Develops new advocacy materials and
updates existing resources on a regular basis.
7. Organizes the annual FASEB Capitol Hill Day including preparing background
materials, providing advocacy training, and coordinating logistics for participants.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-02