Associate Director of Legislative Affairs
Associate Director of Legislative Affairs
Leverage the legislative process to promote a healthy, sustainable, and just food system
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to promote a healthy, sustainable, and just food system. You will be responsible for managing GFI’s legislative initiatives/team and using state/federal legislation to remove hurdles and leverage resources to promote progress on alternative proteins. The Associate Director of Legislative Affairs will be responsible for:
- Working with GFI’s Director of Policy, legislative team, and SciTech Team to develop the organization’s strategy to secure public funding for open-access research that will accelerate progress on alternative proteins.
- Speaking clearly and persuasively on cultivated meat, plant-based meat, and other alternative proteins to congressional staff and other audiences.
- Managing the Senior Legislative Specialist, Senior Policy Specialist, and any future legislative roles on the Policy team.
- Serving as the point person on legislative issues for GFI, including with the press.
- Writing op-eds, white papers, and policy briefs, as needed.
- Building alliances and cultivating support for shared goals with other nonprofit organizations.
- Complying with all relevant lobbying protocol, including lobbyist registration and reporting, using proper codes, and time tracking.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Associate Director of Legislative Affairs must have:
- A minimum of five years of legislative or lobbying experience.
- Some experience managing a team.
- The ability to think strategically about using legislation to advance GFI’s policy goals.
- Experience communicating effectively with both Republican and Democratic members of Congress and their staff.
- An understanding of how the federal government appropriates funds.
- The ability to work independently under pressure and use sound judgment in decision-making, including setting and managing priorities and meeting competing deadlines.
- A solutions-oriented mindset.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Support for GFI’s philosophy and ability to professionally advocate GFI’s positions.
The ideal candidate would also have:
- A J.D. or master’s degree in policy or political science.
- An understanding of food regulation in the United States.
- Experience building coalitions and developing consensus among partners with different but complementary objectives.
- A demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- The ability to contribute to the diversity of ideas and backgrounds on the Policy Team.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Jessica Almy, Director of Policy
- Location: Policy Office, Farragut Square, Washington, D.C.
- Benefits: Flexible hours, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
- Salary: $80,000-$95,000
Please review our detailed careers brochure (direct download) to learn more about GFI’s mission and strategic objectives, our team, the hiring process, and more!
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-05