Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director of Media Relations
American Progress has an immediate opening for two Associate Directors of Media Relations. The Associate Directors will work as senior members of the Communications department and collaborate closely with policy staff to develop and implement communications and press rollout plans for American Progress products and initiatives, as well as work with other members of the Communications department to create content as needed.
The Associate Directors’ portfolios of work will support American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Develop and implement a communications plan for American Progress’ policy work.
- Work with policy staff to develop specific press plans for American Progress’ work.
- Develop and implement reporter outreach strategy.
- Develop strategies to place American Progress’ work in state and local news outlets.
- Pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Work with the Digital Strategy team to develop social media strategies that will extend American Progress’ work to audiences through channels outside of traditional media.
- Create content for American Progress’ digital properties, including its websites and social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of five years of experience in media and/or communications. On the record spokesperson experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of American Progress’ policy issue areas.
- Strong political instincts.
- Experience working in a nonprofit or local, state, and federal government is a plus.
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a team to accomplish project goals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Job posted: 2022-09-11