Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director of US Public Relations
McDermott Will & Emery is a leading global law firm helping to propel the success of today’s most respected, dynamic, and important organizations. More than 1,200 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve. Pride and determination abound here because every member of our team is respected, supported, and inspired to exceed. We have been recognized as a top firm to work by The American Lawyer, Working Mother Magazine, Vault, and the Human Rights Campaign for both lawyers and business professionals.
As part of our ongoing commitment to be #AlwaysBetter for our people, clients, and communities, we have created a culture of belonging that champions your individuality and authenticity as both a person and a professional. From our competitive compensation, top benefits and award-winning professional development programs to industry-leading wellness initiatives, we support you through every stage of your life and career so you can live a life you love both in and outside of the office.
As an Associate Director, US Public Relations you will:
- Develop annual pro-active media strategy that results in measurable outcomes; actively monitor industry trends to align Firm and practice-level priorities.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with top-tier media outlets and key industry influencers.
- Craft messaging; pitch and place profile-raising coverage.
- Prepare crisis communication strategies; participate on crisis response team.
- Manage external agency resources; establish framework and direct agency priorities, ensure maximum value for spend and oversee annual contract/statement-of-work (SOW) negotiations.
- Oversee in-house staff resources; collaborate and provide leadership, including back-up support, to team covering European and Asian offices.
- Collaborate with business development, events and practice/industry teams to develop and implement strategic communication programs that align with Firm objectives.
- Manage tracking and reporting of KPIs and media metrics; maintain working knowledge of Firm technologies, including media news distribution and monitoring tools, and other resources.
- Provide media relations training and interview preparation as needed.
- Monitor ongoing industry trends and competitor activity.
- Contribute to brand positioning and messaging to key stakeholders.
- Oversee PR-related spend within brand and communications budget.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of ten (10) years of related work experience; law firm experience preferred
- Proven experience and success in planning, developing and executing public relations strategies to achieve desired results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated media relationships within key sectors
- Ability to deliver in ambiguous and high-pressure environments
- Ability to partner with C-suite executives
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and under own direction and initiative
- Ability to travel as needed
Successful candidates will be provided with outstanding career opportunities and will receive a competitive total rewards package with the opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses.
Expected Pay Range in New York $210,900 – $271,750
Please note that quoted salary ranges are not guarantees of what final salary offers may be. Base pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay is only one part of the Total Rewards that MWE provides to compensate and recognize our staff professionals for their work. Full time positions are eligible for a discretionary bonus and a comprehensive benefits package.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-14