Associate Director, Policy and Government Relations
The Associate Director is accountable for helping craft, and execute effective public policy and advocacy strategies on our Company’s priority federal policy issues, including a specific focus on reimbursement policy issues. The Associate Director is responsible for supporting the federal public policy, government relations, and alliance development teams. The Associate Director will monitor, analyze, and communicate internally about federal legislative and regulatory activities and initiatives. The Associate Director will also represent our Company at policy-related external events and help to plan and execute internal efforts focused on policy development and support. The Associate Director is accountable for developing and maintaining advocacy tools to support the federal government relations and policy teams with external engagement. The Associate Director is responsible for supporting the alliance development team by maintaining key databases and attending external events on our Company’s behalf. The Associate Director will have specific responsibility for reimbursement policy issues, including the development and execution of reimbursement-focused strategies to facilitate access to products across the portfolio. Primary Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify reimbursement policy challenges and opportunities, develop strategies aimed at securing reimbursement and access to therapies for patients, and support advocacy and engagement to deliver on these strategies.
- Monitor, attend, and provide analysis of policy-related events, including Congressional hearings and mark-ups, federal agency public meetings, and other external events.
- Research and provide analysis of federal legislation, regulatory proposals, government data, third party stakeholder activities, and other key initiatives for strategic internal use and education
- Develop and maintain databases to support the federal government relations and alliance development team
- Support development of memos, education materials, talking points, and presentations, as necessary, tosupport policy and government relations efforts
- Develop public policy and advocacy tools, including creating district/state one-page summaries and environmental scans to inform policymaker interactions
- Design strategies to facilitate cross-department information and knowledge-sharing to ensure strong partnership across government affairs functions
- Provide organizational and content development support for internal policy-related initiatives and events, such as conferences, special events, and employee grassroots programs
- Undergraduate degree
- Minimum of three years as a Congressional staff person or in a Washington DC based government relations or public policy role
- Strong knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory processes, including coding and reimbursement
- Ability to build collaborative, effective working relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent presentation, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle a diverse workload and consistently meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Highly-organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated, with the ability to develop and manage a project forward to resolution and action
- Team-player with a strong desire to learn and a positive attitude
- Familiarity with policies impacting the innovative biopharmaceutical industry
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-23