Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director of Public Policy
Overview: Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) is an international 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Boston’s historic Back Bay whose mission is to advance the highest ethical standards in the conduct of biomedical, behavioral, and social science research. Since 1974, PRIM&R has served as the primary professional home and trusted thought leader for the human and animal research oversight communities. Through educational programming, membership services, professional certification, public policy initiatives, and community building, PRIM&R seeks to ensure that everyone involved in research understands the central importance of ethics in the advancement of science. This includes working to address systemic racism and other forms of structural injustice as they impact the research enterprise. PRIM&R is committed to advancing justice, equity, and inclusion among our staff, membership, leadership, and the wider research community. Visit primr.org for more information.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Associate Director of Public Policy will manage PRIM&R’s public policy portfolio, including setting the organization’s public policy strategy and direction, managing a public policy committee that advises the organization on policy matters, identifying policy initiatives to pursue, preparing policy comments and other products, and forging and maintaining relevant partnerships to amplify PRIM&R’s policy efforts. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, creative thinker and strategist with the confidence and experience to shape the organization’s policy strategy, and the skills to craft original and timely policy products that will make an impact on the field. For reference, PRIM&R’s past policy products can be found here: primr.org/public-policy.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to set the strategy and direction for the organization’s public policy efforts, and implement the organization’s policy strategy.
- Keep abreast of legislative, regulatory, and policy developments at the national, and international levels and evaluate their potential impact on the research oversight community.
- Conduct research on policy issues and identify and propose possible public policy initiatives where PRIM&R can have an impact.
- Manage the activities of, provide administrative support for, and incorporate the guidance and input of PRIM&R’s Public Policy Committee.
- Draft public policy comments and other work products (e.g., op-eds, letters to the editor, white papers, and testimony).
- As needed, advise the Senior Management Team about relevant policy issues that may impact education and other areas of the organization.
- Work with public engagement staff to publicize and disseminate PRIM&R’s policy work to our constituency, the media, and the public.
- Identify potential opportunities to collaborate with other organizations to amplify PRIM&R’s work and influence.
What we’re looking for:
- BA required; advanced/professional degree (e.g., JD, PhD, MPH) preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in policy-related field (government, legal, regulatory affairs).
- Keen understanding of the research oversight policy and regulation landscape (including but not limited to human subjects and animal research), the US federal rulemaking process, and the executive and legislative branches of federal government.
- Exceptional and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to synthesize, interpret, and communicate complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects, meeting deadlines, and moving projects from idea stage to completion.
- Proven analytical skills to evaluate complex issues and recommend next steps.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to shaping PRIM&R’s policy voice, capacity, process, and direction.
- Curiosity, positive attitude, good judgment, and committed work ethic.
- Experience working with or managing committees of subject matter expert volunteers a plus.
- Internal: Works most closely with the Executive Director, interfacing with the Director of Programs and the Public Engagement Manager as needed when policy work intersects with programs and public engagement/media outreach activities.
- External: Works closely with and manages the PRIM&R Public Policy Committee. Will be encouraged and have opportunities to develop and sustain relationships with partner organizations whose policy missions align with PRIM&R’s.
Salary & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $80,000 – $85,000, depending on qualifications and experience. PRIM&R offers a full benefits package, including: medical, dental, 401k, generous paid time off, flexible work schedule, summer hours, commuter and home office equipment support, and professional development support. PRIM&R offers a hybrid work environment.
Travel: Travel up to 25%, including travel to the office, on a schedule to be determined. (While 25% of travel is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice).
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org (put “Assoc. Director of Public Policy” in the subject heading). No phone calls, please. PRIM&R is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. PRIM&R is committed to providing reasonable accommodation. Individuals from under-represented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2022-01-12