Associate Director, Public Relations & Events
Join Women for Women’s Global Communications Team
Women for Women International (WfWI) is seeking an Associate Director, Public Relations & Events.
Women for Women International works in some of the most dangerous places to be a woman. We serve women survivors of war in conflict and post-conflict areas around the world in 8 countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eastern Congo, and Northern Nigeria. Our core belief is that stronger women build stronger nations; and with access to knowledge, resources, and a support network, a woman rebuilds her life and improves her community.
Our model works and we have the data to prove it. In our 26-year history, Women for Women International has reached over half a million women. The women we work with across 3 continents earn just $0.81 a day when we enroll them. At graduation, it’s $2.11, nearly tripled.
Our impact goes beyond income. The number of women who say at least one household member went to sleep hungry in the last four weeks has gone from 18% to 5%. And more women say they speak out against women’s abuse: 26% report having publicly spoken in the last 6 months against physically abusing women.
When women have the right tools, they realize the power within themselves to transform their lives, their families, their communities, and finally their entire nations.
This role is responsible for developing and executing an earned media engagement strategy to advance WfWI’s mission and increase its share of voice in women’s rights, development, and humanitarian coverage.
The Associate Director leads public relations, plans events, and cultivates relationships with national and international media, influencers, celebrities, and other stakeholders with the goal of amplifying the voices of the women we serve. They also measure goals and performance metrics for media campaigns, influencer activity and special projects.
The location for this position is flexible within the United States with a preferred location in Washington, D.C. or New York City.
s of Responsibility
PR, Celebrity & Media Relations
- Responsible for PR initiatives, including leading proactive media outreach and pitching to yield high-quality media placements nationally and globally.
- Develop and manage global media and influencer relations and strategy.
- Manage media opportunities with celebrities and influencers, including arranging and covering radio, print, online and television interviews/appearances
- Manage proactive outreach to position key WfWI executives and spokespeople through earned media interviews and thought leadership opportunities.
- Develop events strategies and plans for the organization’s signature events such as the Annual Luncheon
- Develop thought-leadership plans to raise visibility at external events
- Identify and pursue industry awards and recognition opportunities that elevate WfWI’s brand positioning
- Support the organization’s participation in sector-specific events
- Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations and other deliverables as needed
- Provide strategic insights across brand reputation, issues and crisis management and stakeholder engagement
Communications & Project Management
- Manage PR budgets; oversee and manage projects from start to completion.
- Curate external messaging, develop speeches and talking points on key topics for Executive team, Board members as needed
- Draft, edit and disseminate communications materials such as press releases, media/photo advisories, op-ed articles, and other materials as required.
- Supervise Sr. Associate of External Engagement
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in communications, writing, journalism, or related field preferred
- 9 – 10 years of experience in public/media relations, communications and/or journalism
- Ability to troubleshoot and be flexible in a fast-moving, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Working knowledge of PR tools like Cision, Microsoft Teams and Office apps
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Self-starter who can work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Ability to balance and prioritize tasks and stay focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Experience working in international non-profit PR
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or Content Management Systems
- Interest in women’s issues and international development
You can view the detailed job description on the link below;
All our staff are required to adhere to WfWI’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies and to our organizational values: Empowerment, Integrity, Respect, Resilience.
At Women for Women International, we know that our people and organizational culture provide the foundation to achieve our mission. Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are central to everything we do. Read more about our commitment to DEI
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through our career page here: https://www.womenforwomen.org/about-us/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job posted: 2021-11-02