Associate Director, Reputation Management
Job Description Summary
The Associate Director, Reputation Management – Medical Segment is responsible for internal and external communication for all high-risk and high-impact matters for the BD Medical segment. The role serves as a collaborative partner to four business units to identify and execute strategic communication initiatives in support of the BD purpose to advance the world of health. This role will report to the Senior Director of Corporate Reputation Management and partner with senior leaders to develop and execute internal and external communication strategies, plans and materials to complement business objectives; improve customer, patient and consumer awareness and understanding of BD, support the company’s relationships with the media and protect the company’s reputation in crisis situations. With an emphasis on the Interventional segment, the role will align with senior leadership, including business unit presidents and vice presidents of Marketing, on how to best amplify and prioritize announcements and key milestones based on the current pulse of the media. In addition, this role will require positioning complex clinical applications and/or advancements within current and future industry trends frequently covered by the media.
Scope of Responsibility
- Develop, manage and successfully implement comprehensive communication plans that support high-risk, high-impact matters such as mergers and acquisitions, major product launches, facility expansions, product recalls, litigation, facility closings and other highly sensitive projects.
- Build proactive communication plans that align with BD business objectives, marketing strategies and overarching company priorities to ensure positive perceptions of the company and supporting BD’s overall reputation.
- Act as primary communication counselor to business unit presidents and marketing leaders and advise on communication strategy for internal and external audiences.
- Develop and execute on strategic tactics that align with and complement other functions and overall BD corporate priorities, including public policy and investor relations efforts.
- Position BD experts as industry thought leaders.
- Maintain policies and procedures for communication material development, as well as build and maintain positive, effective relationships with internal business/product teams, external media contacts and public relations agencies.
- Serve as a company spokesperson across a multitude of media outlets and other external stakeholders including digital and social influencers.
- Manage and implement internal and external special events; providing and updating information for internet/intranet sites to educate internal audiences, customers, third parties and media.
- Actively manage agencies and consultants that support BD communication initiatives; includes collaborating with additional company vendors when appropriate.
- Prepare internal stakeholders with media coaching and cohesive messaging in advance of employee events and publicly attended/viewed forums.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Journalism, Public Relations or Communication.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in communication.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with an emphasis on message development with excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience in medical, scientific and/or highly technically writing is a plus.
- Experience in crisis communication and issues management is a plus.
- Experience with a publicly traded corporation is a plus.
- Expertise in AP Style writing highly preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strategic thinker with ability to assess situation(s) and counsel on best strategies to garner positive outcomes with measurable results.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with an emphasis on message development, with excellent writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrate creative thinking and a proactive planning and execution of communication initiatives – taking into consideration all internal and external corporate channels.
- Proven ability to think independently and make sound decisions and recommendations regarding communication programs/issues/crisis communication.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively handle multiple activities and respond to changing priorities with good judgment.
- Critical attention to detail.
- Time management skills and proven track record of handling multiple deadlines.
- Experience in drafting content, managing and convening editorial calendars and a solid understanding of social media.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), Adobe, PR Newswire, Media Monitoring Services, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-04