Associate Director, State Government Affairs (East)
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing novel therapies for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases. The company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are typically no approved therapies treating the underlying disease.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities! During the COVID-19 Outbreak we are committed to our hiring process. The health and safety of our employees and prospective employees take priority which means at this time our process will include WebEx video discussions, interviews & onboarding.
ultraimpact – Make a difference for those who need it most
The Associate Director of State Government Affairs will serve as the company’s external affairs representative in key states across the U.S. and will focus on state government, legislative and regulatory issues impacting Ultragenyx in the Eastern Region, may include but not be limited to Arkansas, Florida, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina and South Carolina. You will educate and engage with state government officials, trade associations, coalitions and patient advocacy groups to align rare disease healthcare policy, advocacy and legislative priorities in our key states.
This is a field position based in the eastern region of the U.S.. The role requires 30% travel.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Lead company efforts in key states as corporate and government affairs representative, build and maintain key relationships with legislators and public policy makers, monitor legislation and participate in coalitions to educate and engage stakeholders on behalf of the company, its programs and its patients.
- Represent the company and its executives with all external state stakeholders including the Governor’s office, Senate and House leadership, key state agencies, quasi-governmental organizations, and other policy groups to advance state policies that support the company’s business objectives.
- Develop company policy positions into timely and effective advocacy strategies that shape policy outcomes and advance Ultragenyx’s legislative and policy interests in the states.
- Manage and lead several rare disease company and advocacy coalitions across states on key issue initiatives incl. newborn screening, rare disease advisory councils and gene therapy education briefings.
- Represent company in state trade associations as key contact and Government Affairs Committee member.
- Engage and inform state government legislation and regulations affecting Ultragenyx’s business interests in order to support our commercial reimbursement efforts.
- Manage consulting firm or services in key states (if any).
- Conduct all activities in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations and company policies.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 8+ years government affairs experience
- 3+ years in the biotech industry
- Strong communication and presentation skills, interacting with both external and internal audiences.
- Demonstrated networking, consensus building, and influencing skills.
- Critical thinking skills, relationship management, conflict resolution and ability to work collaboratively.
- Knowledge of state government legislative, regulatory and Medicaid reimbursement processes
- Travel – 30%
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law. If you have any difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact Talent Acquisition by calling: (415) 483-8800 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For electronic email and mail inquiries, please include a description of your requested accommodation, your name and contact information.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-31