Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Director, US HIV and Access Communications
Reporting to the Senior Director, US HIV and Access Communications, this role will support the development and implementation of US-specific executions of global initiatives relating to Gilead’s research and development efforts, current product portfolio, partnerships and programs spanning the areas of HIV prevention, treatment and cure.
The role is responsible for helping to demonstrate Gilead’s leadership in HIV by articulating Gilead’s vision across external and internal audiences, raising awareness of unmet medical, systemic and social needs that our science and programs seek to address, and communicating progress against these goals.
This role works closely with cross-functional colleagues in the US Commercial Organization, Clinical Development, Medical Affairs, Government Affairs and Public Policy and engages colleagues across Public Affairs’ global centers of expertise and global therapeutic area communications to help inform cross-functional priorities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to develop and maintain a therapeutic area narrative that serves as a framework to organize storytelling and messaging.
- Develop tactics that strategically assert Gilead’s point of view and demonstrate Gilead’s leadership on issues relevant to the HIV therapeutic area. Ensure all materials are accurate and comply with business conduct and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the submission, review and approval of all materials through Gilead’s review committee process.
- Monitor environment and media to anticipate and advise on key issues relating to the company’s products and programs in the HIV therapeutic area. Disseminate relevant coverage to key internal teams.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of issues relevant to Gilead’s HIV business ensuring that talking points and key message documents are updated and disseminated among internal and external audiences in a timely, proactive manner.
- Collaborate on programs related to HIV in other Public Affairs and Government Affairs centers of expertise, including corporate communications, community engagement, corporate giving and policy. Programs may include corporate advertising, corporate website and intranet content development, advocacy group engagement, funding opportunity announcements, among others.
- Triage and respond to media inquiries.
- Serve as daily point of contact with PR agency partners, providing agency teams with appropriate information and oversight to effectively implement programs in compliance with Gilead’s business conduct policies.
- Reconcile budgets on a monthly basis to help ensure spends are tracking to budget. Alert management to any under-/over-spends.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- BA degree in communications or public policy field and minimum 10 years of relevant experience, which includes 6-8 years of healthcare public relations experience or Master’s Degree in communications or public policy field with 8 years of relevant experience.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and balance multiple competing priorities
- Experience working in a matrixed organization
- Ability to influence others and drive alignment across diverse teams
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and partners in a cooperative and constructive manner
- Ability to interact with senior management, academic experts and patient advocates appropriately, with confidence and ease
- A passion for engaging in public health and policy issues
- Prior experience in HIV communications, advocacy, government affairs, marketing or medical affairs is highly desired
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge and experience using software applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, etc.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-03