Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Executive Director, Strategy & Communications
The American Association of School Administrators, d/b/a, AASA the School Superintendents Association, is the premier association for school system leaders. We serve as the national voice for public education and district leadership on Capital Hill. A professional community of more than 10,000 educational leaders, AASA and its members are committed to providing high-quality public education to all students.
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative VP level professional to lead, develop and manage all communications strategies, including, but not limited to, high quality print/digital communications, speeches, presentations, publications, and social media. This position will ensure that all internal and external communications are cohesive, high quality, accurate, and strategic. The incumbent will lead a team to develop and execute the association’s strategic communications plan. The Associate Executive Director for Strategy and Communications will work closely and proactively with association colleagues to ensure that strategic program communication needs are being met across all departments and functions. The individual will serve as a senior advisor on the Executive Director’s Senior Leadership Team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities beyond satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. The preferred location for this role is in Virginia, Maryland or Washington, D.C.
Conveniently located just blocks from the King Street Metro station, AASA offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment to employees.
Benefits for full-time staff include:
- Free onsite parking;
- Remote work for most positions;
- Medical, dental and vision insurance;
- 403(b) retirement plan;
- Long-term disability coverage;
- Life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment coverage;
- Short-Term Gap Coverage under our Family Medical Leave;
- Legal Resources membership;
- Voluntary supplemental benefits;
- SmartBenefits® – AASA subsidy and additional pre-tax purchase;
- Employee assistance program;
- Credit union membership;
- Flexible spending accounts – dependent and medical;
- Paid vacation (20 days a year for this position);
- Paid sick leave (10 days per year), personal leave (2 days per year) and holidays (11 days per year).
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter no later than Friday, August 25, using the supplied link on this page.
Leads Development & Execution of the Association’s Strategic Communications Plan
- Develops and executes comprehensive strategic communications plans in support of the association’s objectives and mission.
- Works with the Senior Leadership Team to design and implement intentional and strategic communications organizational messaging, and consistent and effective branding.
- Works closely and proactively with association colleagues to ensure that strategic program communication needs are being met across all departments and functions.
- Supports the Executive Director in creating a leadership communications strategy to effectively position the SLT, officers and representatives as thought leaders and spokespeople on issues and in venues that are relevant to the association’s mission and values.
- Executes processes to capture stakeholder feedback and the measurement of the effectiveness of association communication activities, adjusting plans were appropriate.
Ensures All Internal and External Communications Are Cohesive, High Quality, Accurate & Strategic
- Provides support to Executive Director and SLT as needed for preparing internal or external communications, delivering presentations or preparing materials as necessary.
- Creates an integrated and strategic approach for proactive communication relations on key priorities each quarter.
- Oversees, develops and manages relationships with applicable media representatives and proactively outreach to drive positive coverage of our association, its members and public education.
- Develops communication outreach strategies, utilizing resources as needed, and ensures that staff, officers and representatives are adequately prepared to communicate with media.
- Develops and implements internal and external proactive and reactive communications and reputation management plans.
- Prepares speeches, blog posts, editorials, presentations, talking points, etc., as needed.
- Manages additional communication activities as identified or assigned.
- Assists the events planning staff on communications and preparations related to the National Conference on Education and other association events.
- Oversees the writing, editing and graphic design of publications and reports.
- Oversees and coordinates the development of content for newsletters, email communications, blogs, websites, social media and other forms of communication.
Oversees & Manages External Strategic Communication Agency Partners.
- Partners closely with peers in organizations to create strategic communication partnerships through a collaborative and coordinated approach.
- Researches key stakeholders and influencers and develops appropriate engagement plans.
- Manages day-to-day issues in partnership with team members, media and other stakeholders, including preparing talking points, statements, questions and answers, etc.
Education: Master’s degree in communications, journalism, strategy, political science, or a related field or comparable professional experience.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in public relations/corporate communications/political campaigns or related experience.
- Minimum of seven years of management experience.
- Association management experience preferred.
- Experience managing teams remotely preferred.
- Experience performing communication need assessments, with key stakeholder analysis, to align strategic communications with the needs of the association and our members.
- Experience overseeing and developing strategic communication content tailored to specific medium and audience requirements.
- Experience and proven effectiveness in successfully managing crisis communications and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated experience in building effective relationships with staff and external stakeholders.
- Proven writing and oral communication skills, ability to persuade and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic communication plans.
- Demonstrate understanding of external news, media, communication outlets and channels and how to navigate them.
- Proven track record of effectively directing, supervising, and leading internal teams, outside agencies, and consultants.
- Proven ability to effectively manage budgets.
- Proficient in the use of technology
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to interact with colleagues and stakeholders with tact, diplomacy, and poise.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Promote quality through implementing continuous improvement processes.
- Good judgement and interpersonal communication skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Works effectively with others as part of a team.
- Self-starter who shows ownership and commitment to the job and the association.
Physical Demands: Regular use of laptop computer is common.
Travel: The incumbent will be required to travel upon request and as needed for specific initiatives and working longer than normal hours at meetings and conferences may be expected.
The responsibilities shown above are characteristic of this position and may not include all duties. In addition, AASA staff are expected to work collaboratively and willingly on teams and projects as assigned and to perform other duties as requested.
This position requires the incumbent to exercise confidentiality and discretion.
As this position includes the direction of the work of others, the incumbent is expected to provide training, direction, guidance and feedback in a positive and professional manner to encourage satisfactory performance.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-25