Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate General Counsel- Commercial
Stability AI is on the forefront of artificial intelligence development, building brand new technologies that push the boundaries of what is possible. As an open source company, we are committed to our community, and care deeply about the real-world implications and applications of our technology. Our most considerable advances grow from working across multiple teams and disciplines. We are
not afraid to go against established norms or buck industry expectations. We are motivated to generate breakthrough ideas and convert them into tangible solutions. Our vibrant communities consist of experts, leaders, and partners across the globe who are developing cutting-edge open AI models for Image, Language, Audio, Video, 3D, and Biology. Our inclusive culture promotes a healthy work-life balance and encourages creativity and collaboration. If you are eager to be part of a team that values innovation, fosters growth, and embraces diversity, we invite you to apply for the Associate General Counsel – Commercial position at Stability AI. Join us in our mission to make a difference in the AI sector and contribute to our ongoing success!
Stability AI’s small legal team is growing quickly, and we are seeking a dynamic and experienced Associate General Counsel for Commercial to join our legal team. The role will require the candidate to be ready to scale and lead a global, commercial legal function upon joining our team, including hiring and managing direct reports consistent with company growth. You will have the opportunity to shape business and legal strategy in an industry with little legal precedents, brand new legal questions and concerns, and quickly evolving business models. While a technical background is not a requirement for the role, curiosity, the willingness to learn about new technologies, and the ability to translate an engineer’s technical explanations into actionable legal mitigation measures and contractual provisions with the assistance of Product Counsel is a must.
This is a remote role. Though we are a global company with headquarters in London, preference for location is Pacific time zone.
● Negotiate, prioritize, and otherwise manage commercial transactions with customers and partners with minimal oversight
● Work closely with engineers and Product/Privacy Counsel to understand Stability AI’s products and services in order to address any special legal requirements or risks related to Stability AI’s products and services in Stability AI’s agreements, and to clearly and
persuasively communicate with negotiating parties who will often have limited familiarity with Stability AI’s technology
● Analyze, identify, and mitigate potential legal risks in our commercial dealings
● Work with stakeholders from finance, sales, and business development teams to ensure efficiency and cohesion in managing customer and partner transactions
● Create templates and playbooks as needed; Work on complex, one-off customer and partner agreements
● Lead the legal team’s efforts to enter into new foreign markets
● Select and manage the implementation of IT services necessary for commercial transactions, such as digital contract management tools, order form creation tools, or online click-to-accept vendors. Train others on how to use these tools as needed.
● Stay current on legal and regulatory developments that impact the technology sector, and adapt our contracts and commercial operations accordingly
● Implement global trade compliance programs to ensure we conduct business in accordance with legal requirements, and oversee training initiatives to educate employees about them
● Contribute to the continuous improvement of legal processes, templates, and best practices to enhance operational efficiency
● As company grows, hire and manage a team of direct reports, including creating annual budgets, developing hiring plans, and providing performance feedback and individualized growth plans for team members
● Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school and active bar membership in good standing
● 12+ years of experience as an attorney, with a significant portion of that experience focused on commercial transactions, technology transactions, and related areas.
● Previous in-house, leadership role at a technology company
● Ability to address problems creatively
● Practical approach to commercially reasonable risk mitigation in the face of both legal and business uncertainty
● Experience interviewing and evaluating candidates for legal roles
● Proven track record of independently drafting, negotiating, and reviewing various types of contracts and agreements
● Familiarity with both consumer-facing and enterprise-facing contracts
● Strong understanding of intellectual property law, data privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR, CCPA), and technology licensing
● Familiarity with channel (distributors, resellers) and related practice issues
● Working knowledge of revenue recognition rules and basic tax provisions
● Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills, with the ability to distill complex legal concepts into clear and actionable guidance for non-legal stakeholders.
● Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, innovative environment
● Experience working with cross-functional teams and effectively managing multiple priorities
● Proactive mindset to identify and address legal risks
● High level of integrity, professionalism, and attention to detail
● Flexibility to adapt to evolving priorities
● Ability to foster relationships and collaborate with internal clients
● Experience in gathering and maintaining metrics for commercial deal flow
● Familiarity with emerging technologies, including AI and data analytics
● Experience with open source software licensing, data licensing, or source-available licensing
Privacy and data security certifications (CIPP/US, CIPP/E)
Familiarity with online music licensing (PROs, Publishers, Labels)
Knowledge of copyright laws
Experience in drafting global agreements or agreements for foreign markets
Experience doing deals with universities or other research institutions
Experience doing deals with federal, state, and local governments in the US and abroad
Experience with selecting and managing outside counsel
Experience with export control regulations
Knowledge of laws related to bribery and corruption in the US and abroad
Excellent repertoire of English colloquialisms or appreciation for British humor (Stability AI is headquartered in London)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-05