Associate Government Affairs
FARE is seeking an Associate Government Affairs to assist us in providing support for our federal lobbying and advocacy efforts to help improve the quality of life for the more than 32 million Americans with life-threatening food allergies.
The position reports to the Director, Advocacy, assists the Vice President of Government & Community Affairs, and works closely with members of other departments across the organization.
The position has two distinct functions – supporting the organization’s federal lobbying efforts while engaging and helping to grow our nearly 50,000 advocates located in more than 98% of all U.S. House Districts.
- Conducts research and writes summary documents on current and proposed federal legislation impacting the food allergy community
- Develops and executes, in concert with colleagues, advocacy plans to further the interests of the food allergy community on Capitol Hill
- Drafts advocacy emails to supporters on specific issues
- Lobbies, either as part of the FARE team and/or with an advocate, on issues
- Assists in the planning, development, and execution of lobbying and advocacy programs including FARE’s annual fly-in and the Grassroots Advocacy Subcommittee meetings
- Manages and seeks to grow FARE’s advocacy database
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong interpersonal skills required to develop and build relationships with colleagues, legislative staff and advocates
- The ability to write well and persuasively
- Familiarity with conducting legislative research
- Personal connection to, or a passion for our more mission, improving the lives of the food allergy community
- Fundamental understanding of how Congress works and the role of advocates in advancing an issue or cause
- 1-3 for Associate or 3-5 years of campaign, advocacy, legislative or lobbying experience.
We understand that candidates for this position may not have both lobbying and advocacy experience at this point in their careers, and we would encourage you to apply especially if you are intellectually curious, have a great work ethic and would like to learn, grow and develop new skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, liberal arts, political science, public affairs or a related field
- 1 to 3 for Associate or 3 to 5 years of campaign, advocacy, state or federal legislative and lobbying experience for Manager/Sr. Manager position
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-13