Associate Legislative Director for Human Services and Education
The National Association of Counties (NACo) announces an opening for an Associate Legislative Director for Human Services and Education. Under the general guidance of the Legislative Director for the National Association of Counties the Associate Legislative Director for Human Services and Education assists in directing NACo’s human services and education policy agenda. The position requires knowledge and understanding of human services and education policy issues affecting local governments, and also requires the ability to develop and maintain effective contacts with relevant federal government officials, Members of Congress and their staffs, other public interest organizations and other organizations representing the human services sector.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the Legislative Director, the Associate Legislative Director:
- represents to Congress, through formal and informal meetings and contacts, NACo policy positions on legislation affecting counties;
- relates legislative information to county officials, writes testimony for presentation at congressional hearings, attends mark-ups and works as liaison with coalitions to coordinate efforts and build support;
- works with federal agencies to implement programs once legislation is enacted;
- monitors implementing regulations and engages federal agencies to ensure county input;
- provides staff assistance to NACo’s Human Services and Education Steering Committee, plans and organizes meetings of the committee, provides information and guidance to the committee on legislation within its functional area of responsibility, issues regular updating reports to the committee on pending legislation, and provides supporting information as necessary;
- presents actions of Congress and federal agencies relative to legislative issues to the membership in a format that: (1) imparts information; and (2) provides guidance for field support of lobbying efforts in Washington, including County News, NACo social media posts and interviews for outside publications;
- works closely with the Legislative Director to develop lobbying strategies for shared priority policy objectives;
- assists in preparing for and conducting meetings and educational sessions held in conjunction with NACo conferences;
- serves as liaison with state associations and affiliates involving oral and written communications regarding pertinent legislative activities; and
- performs supportive administrative duties such as providing answers, both oral and written, to membership inquiries on legislative matters.
The Associate Legislative Director must possess the following skills and qualifications:
- bachelor’s degree plus four years’ experience, or master’s degree plus two years’ experience, or seven years of related experience;
- thorough knowledge and understanding of human services policy and the county role in financing and delivering human services;
- thorough knowledge of intergovernmental relations and functions of government at all levels;
- thorough knowledge of county structure and government;
- excellent oral and writing skills and analytical ability; strong advocacy skills;
- good political judgment;
- sensitivity and tactfulness in dealing with issues and personalities;
- sensitivity to the political realm as it impacts upon county affairs;
- sensitivity to county issues; and
- skills in computer word processing, spreadsheets and Internet use competence in Microsoft Office applications.
Reports to the Director of Legislative Affairs. Is expected to function with a reasonable amount of independence.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com or go on line for more information at www.NACo.org.
Employees of NACo enjoy a challenging environment and a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance coverage; paid holidays and leave; tuition reimbursement; group life insurance, 401(k) match and pension plans, credit union membership; and short-term/long-term disability coverage.
NACo and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Job posted: 2019-09-03