Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Associate Manager, Government Relations & Issue Management
Background & Purpose of the Job
The North America Corporate Affairs team provides the strategic leadership, capabilities and expertise to support the Unilever in building a purpose-led, future-fit organization: managing internal communications to engage employees; leading external affairs and communications to engage the media and stakeholders; leading advocacy with policy makers; providing expertise and guidance to the Divisions and brands on purpose activation and sustainability; managing strategic partnerships for social and environmental impact; collaborating with customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders; and strengthening Unilever’s position externally as the leader in this area.
This position provides support to Unilever’s U.S. External Affairs and Corporate Affairs, helping the team achieve its mission of advancing Unilever’s reputation and relationships with key stakeholders including government officials, NGOs, customers, and citizens. The position facilitates the management of priority corporate issues and proactively works to advance Unilever’s reputation and leadership in such issues, including effectively lobbying to influence the outcome of those issues.
Who You Are & What You Will Do
- Analyze, monitor and lobby on federal and state legislation for issues of importance to Personal Care; Beauty & Wellbeing; and Home Care Business Groups. Issues include, but not limited to, ingredient regulation and labeling; packaging and recycling; deforestation; energy; climate change; trade; and tax.
- Lead the Issues Management process for Personal Care; Beauty & Wellbeing and Home Care Business Groups by: 1) Coordinating meetings and activities of the cross-functional and cross-business unit Issues Management Teams; 2) Identify, analyze and assess issues, including forecasting; 3) Conduct employee issue management training; 4) Coordinate issue flags; 5) Implement and provide support for Global issue management processes; 6) Inform and collaborate with Global; 7) Inform the business on responses to issues that may impact performance or reputation
- Participate in trade association and coalition meetings, representing the company’s position on legislation.
- Work with the business groups on potential impact or solutions to legislative or regulatory proposals/laws.
- Coordinate and assist with external stakeholder management.
- Schedule, prepare materials for, and arrange logistics of meetings, plant tours and Washington, D.C., events for Unilever executives with legislators and their staff, agency officials, diplomats, representatives of foreign entities and lobbyists of other companies and trade associations.
- Coordinate the company’s quarterly information-gathering survey and report-filing requirements for compliance with LDA lobbying registration and disclosure.
- Support the Team on advocacy issues and campaigns, including relationship building activities.
- Work with External Communications to amplify actions on key issues through digital platforms.
- Support the External Affairs team with other duties and tasks as assigned.
You’re a changemaker: You are a self-starter and a multitasker who can work independently and with teams. You have strong organizational skills and take pride in influencing key stakeholders on Unilever’s Compass.
You’re a dot connector: Work with key business stakeholders to identify business opportunities and challenges as they arise related to issues. You coordinate with different teams to understand issues and how they affect Unilever’s ability to do business.
You’re a born leader: You operate with a bias for action and take initiative while handling multiple tasks at once.
You’re a story teller: Ability to effectively communicate Unilever’s position and issues with external stakeholders and lawmakers
You love to win and have fun doing it: You accept challenges and the multiple issues the external affairs team manages at the same time, supporting each other.
You’re a paradox navigator: You will interface with key company divisions; global external affairs, regulatory affairs, legal, brands, business units, business groups and internal communications.
What You Will Need to Succeed
Bachelor’s degree required. You will need a minimum of 5 years of experience in a professional office working on public policy, legislative or issue management.
- Preferred experience in an industry trade association or corporate government relations or state or congressional office.
- Self-starter that takes own initiative
- Advocacy skills
- Good at seeking different perspectives and works collaboratively
- Diplomatic, doesn’t need to take the credit
- Strong oral and written communicator
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and prioritize
- Ability to work well in small office environment
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growthopens in a new window | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefitsopens in a new window | Every Voice Mattersopens in a new window | Global Reachopens in a new window | Life at Unileveropens in a new window | Careers with Purposeopens in a new window | World Class Career Development Programsopens in a new window | Check Out Our Spaceopens in a new window | Focus On Sustainabilityopens in a new window
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For more information, please seeEqual Employment Opportunity Postersopens in a new window
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.comopens in a new window. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.
Job posted: 2023-01-14