Associate Manager of Local Government and Regulatory Affairs
Reports to: Director of Regional Policy & Government Affairs
Manages relevant local legislative and regulatory issues as designated. Supports the objectives of the organization by proactively influencing local elected officials/staff in moving forward the Biocom public policy and legislative agenda. Main point of contact for local facilities and environmental health and safety professionals, Primary staff for all local policy- and government-related committees and other initiatives. This position reports to the Director of Regional Policy & Government Affairs and will work closely with the Bay Area Executive Director.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with Associate Manager of Government Affairs & Events to develop programming for department events and legislative activities including roundtables and tours, Facilities/EH&S workshops and miscellaneous receptions. Principal staff to Bay Area Local Policy Working Group
- Principal Staff to the Bay Area Facilities/Environmental Health & Safety Committee
- Tracks legislation and public policy issues primarily focusing at the local government level within the Bay Area
- Analyzes and prepares summaries of legislative and policy issues as assigned
- Researches legislative issues as requested
- Testifies or prepares testimony as appropriate before elected and appointed bodies on industry positions as necessary
- Meets with elected officials and staff on industry positions regarding key legislative and public policy issues
- Meets with Bay Area chambers of commerce, economic development entities and other business and workforce related entities, as appropriate
- Compose Biocom correspondence on local Bay Area legislative and regulatory proposals
- Keep records of meetings and topics discussed with local government officials for municipal/regional filings as required by law.
- Write articles on Bay Area policy initiatives for newsletters, social media and other outlets, as needed.
- Experience working within government at the federal, state and/or local level(s), either within a regulatory agency or a legislative office/committee staff or equivalent.
- Solid relationships with members/staff of the CA legislature, CA Congressional
- Delegation and local government within the Bay Area.
- Ability to motivate the membership to participate and become engaged in public policy initiatives.
- Demonstrated results in policy analysis and development, including excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Working knowledge of the life science industry.
- Proficient in communicating the mission of the association and its benefits to prospective members
- Ability to independently initiate, prioritize and complete diverse tasks efficiently and in a well-organized fashion.
- Ability to work with senior management both within the organization and within the structure of Biocom member companies.
- Proficient in computer software packages, such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work in a matrix environment
Education Requirement:Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major related to the specific knowledge, skills and abilities described above.
Experience: Minimum three to five years’ experience working in the office of or with elected officials or regulatory agency or equivalent. Trade association experience pertaining to public policy/government affairs a plus.
Biocom is the premier life science industry association representing more than 1,200 member companies throughout California. The association focuses on initiatives that positively influence the growth of the life science industry, including capital formation, public policy, workforce development, group purchasing, and scientific discovery and development.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-05-22