Associate Media Director
About the Energy Futures Initiative
The Energy Futures Initiative is a nonprofit energy think tank established by former U.S. Energy
Secretary Ernest J. Moniz in 2017 that is dedicated to harnessing the power of innovation—both
in technology and policy—to preserve and create jobs while addressing the climate crisis. To
fulfill this mission, EFI conducts research and analysis and preserves independent control of the
methodology, content and conclusions of all projects and publications.
The Associate Media Director will work with the Vice President of Communications to lead
marketing and strategic communications efforts at EFI. The ideal candidate will have had
substantial experience in communications, preferably in the energy space. In this role, you will
Draft external “thought leadership” products (i.e., blogs and op-eds); help manage EFI’s monthly
newsletter; manage materials and electronic invitations for EFI events; and oversee the use of
social media to boost event registration and amplify analytic work. Experience running
events/run of shows/virtual meetings are a plus. This is not an entry-level position. It is based in
Washington, D.C. and the salary is set at $75,000.
• Manage the day-to-day operations of EFI’s communications team, including fellows and
• Draft and edit reports, white papers, issue briefs, fact sheets and other written products
• Communicate complex ideas clearly, simply, and convincingly to both technical and nontechnical audiences
• Develop and manage communications and publicity campaigns around EFI analysis and
strategic initiatives to ensure that EFI’s work reaches and resonates with target
audiences (policymakers, other ENGOs, and media)
• Develop messaging around EFI analytical products and supporting congressional
• Manage the production of monthly impact reports on communications and marketing
analytics including social media metrics, website traffic, and email engagement
• Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team: establishing key metrics,
analyzing results, and adjusting strategies when necessary
• Bachelor’s or graduate degree in communications, energy or a related field of study
• 3-5 years of overall professional experience in communications; energy sector experience
or a previous/currently role at a policy organization is highly desired
• The ability to handle multiple deadlines and complete assignments with minimal
supervision in a fast-paced workplace
• Discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
• Short letter of introduction
• Writing sample (on an energy topic)
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30, 2021. No phone calls please.
Please write “LAST NAME – ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR” in the subject line.
EFI values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital
status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Job posted: 2021-07-18