Associate, Public Relations
TITLE: Associate, Public Relations
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Media Relations
LOCATION: Stamford Headquarters
TYPE OF ROLE: Full time
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 90 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies and emergency aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
Americares is seeking an energetic, collaborative, self-starter to join its Marketing and Communications team. The department is responsible for Americares global messaging and storytelling, branding and visual identity; developing compelling written and visual content; executing successful marketing and public relations campaigns; and supporting the Development team’s communications with partners and donors.
The Associate, Public Relations will focus on media relations for Americares and Americares Free Clinics. This role will produce a variety of written materials to support medical outreach, including press releases, expert bios and factsheets, and play a critical role in media outreach, press release distribution and media monitoring. As a steward of the “voice” of the organization, the Associate, Public Relations will work closely with other members of the Marketing and Communications team to support strategic messaging and visibility raising efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write, proofread and distribute press releases and media advisories;
- Write bios, newsletter articles, website content, talking points, fact sheets, backgrounders and social media content;
- Build and manage media lists, including researching media contacts;
- Monitor media coverage on a daily basis and produce coverage reports as needed;
- Conduct targeted media outreach to secure broadcast, print and/or online media coverage;
- Support the planning and execution of media events;
- Assist with management of the @AmericaresNews Twitter feed;
- And support other Marketing and Communications team members on a variety of projects as needed, including administrative duties.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, communications or journalism;
- One to two of years of work experience preferred, preferably in communications, public relations and/or journalism. Recent college graduates with relevant internship experience welcome to apply;
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading and oral communications skills;
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and strict adherence to deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work across all levels of an organization;
- Proven ability to work effectively and independently, but also to serve as an effective member of a team;
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Proficiency using Twitter;
- Interest in international relief and development and health;
- Familiarity with Cision or similar media monitoring and distribution services a plus;
- Familiarity with AP Style a plus;
- Ability to work some nights and weekends;
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
Please note, a writing test will be administered as a part of the recruitment process.
LIVE THE AMERICARES VALUES:
- Americares fosters a work environment where employees are collaborative, accountable, responsive and effective.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-17