Crosscut Strategies — a Washington, DC-based strategic communications firm working with start-ups, established high-profile companies, and non-profits in tech, health care, clean energy, and other sectors — is looking for a talented communicator, with experience in politics, policy, communications, and/or technology, to join our fast-growing team. This is a great opportunity to build your skills as you work closely with our senior leadership to develop and implement communications programs and promote our clients’ initiatives to the media and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have 1 to 3 years of experience in press, communications, or campaigns. You need to be inquisitive, motivated, smart, and be able to write quickly and well.
Many of our clients are high-growth start-ups, and like them, we are fast-growing. We keep the hierarchies flat and the fun and satisfaction high. We trust our employees to find the best way to get the work done, and our office has many cool places to do just that. We are located in the heart of the Dupont/Farragut North area, with easy access to Metro, buses, and bikeshare. We work hard, but take breaks to debate music, points of grammar, best places to eat in DC, and the latest outrage coming out of the White House.
Mandatory Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational abilities, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Highly self-motivated.
- Ability to multi-task, work quickly to meet deadlines, and manage multiple assignments at once.
- Advanced proficiency with creating, editing, and formatting professional-quality documents in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (or a strong argument as to why your field is relevant).
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- 1-2 years of experience working with traditional media, writing materials for public distribution, conducting policy and media research, and coordinating media events.
- Experience with social media and experience using social media to reach target audiences.
- Familiarity with and/or interest in health care, energy, technology, financial services, and related issues is preferred.
- Prior work or internship experience in communications, political campaigns, marketing, or issue advocacy.
- Interest in public policy and familiarity with federal and/or state policymaking processes.
- We are open to taking outstanding recent college graduates who have previous work experience.
- Drafting and editing press releases, fact sheets, talking points, presentations, strategy memos, and other communications documents.
- Building press lists and pitching reporters to generate media coverage of events, reports, or other client initiatives.
- Researching issues, policy developments, and media coverage of targeted topics, and distilling this research into clear, concise memos and reports for clients.
- Proposing creative ideas for helping clients achieve their goals
- Monitoring media coverage to identify opportunities and potential risks for clients.
- Participating in new business development, including research and proposal preparation.
- Coordinating meetings, calls, and project timelines for clients.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crosscut Strategies is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted: 2020-02-27