Associate, State Government Affairs
SIFMA is the leading trade association for broker-dealers, investment banks and asset managers operating in the U.S. and global capital markets. On behalf of our industry’s nearly 1 million employees, we advocate on legislation, regulation and business policy, affecting retail and institutional investors, equity and fixed income markets and related products and services. We serve as an industry coordinating body to promote fair and orderly markets, informed regulatory compliance, and efficient market operations and resiliency. We also provide a forum for industry policy and professional development. For more information, visit http://www.sifma.org.
The New York office is currently seeking a smart, detail-oriented, hardworking individual to support the growing needs of a dynamic trade association. Must be a team player who enjoys a challenging work environment and is willing to go the extra mile to produce exceptional work. This position has a heavy emphasis on communication, legal analysis and writing. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, an ability to tailor documents to a wide range of audiences, be well-organized with an ability to maintain and prioritize multiple projects and be detail oriented. This position requires substantial interaction with staff across SIFMA, as well as meeting participants, speakers and attendees. There will also be regular interaction with legislative counsel and elected state and local officials.
The Associate, State Government Affairs will report to Managing Directors in the State Government Affairs Group and will be responsible for the following:
- Monitoring and tracking State legislative, regulatory and public policy initiatives;
- Researching and writing numerous advocacy documents on key industry issues for a variety of audiences;
- Supporting the education of industry regulators and legislative officials and staff regarding current law and industry practices, as well as educating industry members on legislative and regulatory processes;
- Coordinating efforts within the State Government Affairs Group and other SIFMA staff;
- Preparing materials in response to requests from state legislators or regulators;
- Outlining and/or presenting on the potential impact on the industry of regulatory or legislative proposals.
- Producing detailed reports, presentations, and legislative updates, under sometimes tight time constraints;
- Researching and drafting substantive letters, talking points and hearing testimony;
- Covering and providing written reports on legislative hearings, sometimes at odd hours;
- Coordination of and participation in committee meetings as well as other meetings and events throughout the year;
- Organizing and coordinating research work for the group, including ensuring all assignments/projects are completed with accuracy and efficiency, including tracking and follow-through to ensure that appropriate and timely actions are taken;
- Communication with all levels of staff at member firms, up to and including senior staff and executives;
- Establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative professional business relationships with all levels of management, employees, other committee staff advisors and associates, member firms, legislators, regulators & public officials, and legislative counsel;
- Establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative professional relationships with legislative and regulatory staff, and providing substantive input during negotiations with policymakers;
- Demonstrating a high level of customer service, professionalism, and confidentiality in all communications;
- Developing external partnerships with other trade association or key stakeholders on industry issues;
- Creation and dissemination of committee documents, including comment letters on current regulatory issues; and
- Administrative and other support on SIFMA-wide initiatives as needed.
The State Government Affairs Group Professional will have:
- Law degree a must; prior state legislative, regulatory or industry internship experience is a plus;
- Strong oral and written communications skills suitable for business and advocacy purposes;
- Expert proofreading skills and strong attention to detail;
- Initiative and the ability to operate independently, as well as part of a small, highly active team;
- Analytical skills necessary to understand the legal & regulatory issues affecting the industry as well as to summarize complex documents or presentations;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, and the ability to prioritize numerous tasks and communicate such prioritization;
- Exceptional Microsoft Office skills;
- A basic understanding of the equity and fixed-income markets, along with the ability and desire to build a strong substantive knowledge of these markets;
- A strong interest in public policy issues related to the securities industry (including labor, privacy, tax and other areas);
- A writing sample is requested.
SIFMA offers salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Associate, State Government Affairs” in the subject line of your email.
Job posted: 2020-05-05