Associate Vice President, Legislative Political Affairs (Senate-D)
Employee will help secure the enactment of federal legislation benefiting the real estate finance industry. Similarly, the employee will manage issue campaigns (e.g., multifamily housing, secondary mortgage market reform, Dodd-Frank regulatory solutions, FHA appropriations, real estate finance industry tax concerns, etc.). The incumbent should deal collaboratively with the substance of these issues and have experience and abilities to represent MBA before the appropriate committees and thought leaders within the Congress and Washington political community.
The incumbent will also assist in the development and implementation of MBA legislative and regulatory strategy and serve as a primary resource to the SVP of the LPA Group, other MBA senior staff, MBA members/leadership – and key external stakeholders – on aforementioned assigned policy issues and priorities. The major focus of this work will be as a leader within and member of the LPA team, with efforts conducted in close coordination with the Public Policy and Industry Relations, Commercial and Multifamily, External Relations, and Research and Economics teams.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Advocates legislative interests of MBA Members within his/her assigned congressional quadrant. Maintains close liaison with Members of Congress and Senators, key staff, and committees in order to maintain an ongoing climate that fosters and creates early input opportunities to present the industry’s views on existing law or proposed legislation.
- Collaboratively analyzes current and proposed federal legislation affecting the real estate finance and mortgage banking industry, and develops the best means to secure the adoption of legislation that would assure a healthy, viable industry and provide the most effective finance mechanisms.
- Assists the SVP of LPA Group in developing legislative strategies and carrying out MBA’s strategic plan. Further assists the SVP to ensure all senior management project deadlines (e.g., departmental scorecard, budget, memos, reports, etc.) are met.
- Assists SVP in establishing protocols for, and consistent group execution of, increased cross-functionality amongst lobbying team. Provides guidance to the LPA staff, focusing on the group’s execution of MBA’s strategic planning goals.
- Provides leadership on MBA’s legislative objectives with internal MBA staff, MBA members, and other stakeholders.
- Leads MBA hearing preparation teams for congressional hearings, including collaborative drafting of testimony, preparing hearing binders, organizing briefing sessions, etc.
- Directs coalitions comprised of industry participants and consumer advocates to achieve MBA’s policy objectives. Promotes MBA’s goals and objectives among allied trade associations and other inter-industry groups.
- Leads in the preparation, development, and timely delivery of written correspondence (as required) to appropriate congressional leadership and individual MOCs/Senators, as well as content/communications tailored for MBA members and fellow staff, including (but not limited to) regular reports on activities in Washington.
- Represents the MBA before state and local associations, Members of Congress, and regulatory agencies (as needed).
- Develops and implements appropriate political budget strategies. Attends, as approved, political fundraising events for incumbents/candidates for congressional office. Travel as needed. Strict adherence to FEC
- In consultation with the SVP of LPA Group, helps collaboratively to develop departmental budget and monitors departmental spending, ensuring compliance with MBA policies and procedures. Adheres to all internal budget guidelines and protocols.
- Speaks with confidence on the intersection between politics and policy to provide updates and advocate MBA’s policies before both internal and external audiences, on multi-person panels, or as an individual.
Undergraduate degree in related discipline and a minimum of ten years of legislative or regulatory experience required, with background in real estate or mortgage finance preferred. Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral communication skills also necessary.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-22