Avail – Head of Government Relations
Avail (affiliate of Allstate) is a new car sharing platform focused on improving mobility and reducing the cost of car ownership. We give car owners a way to earn extra income from their idle cars and connect drivers with a convenient, affordable way to drive a car when they want
As Head of Government Relations, you will lead the strategy, execution, and relationship-building necessary to accomplish Avail’s public policy goals. You will serve as the primary relationship manager with Avail’s external constituents across the US – government, industry partners, trade groups, NGOs, media, and academic. You will also coordinate efforts with internal stakeholders who partner with Avail to accomplish our government relations goals and those of the broader Allstate enterprise – BD, Policy, Legal, Compliance, and Corporate Relations. You will keep the Avail team and its key Allstate stakeholders informed of material external news, from competitive moves to legislative issues.
Help create and implement Avail’s comprehensive government relations and legislative strategy; including leveraging a large team of lobbyists and several trade associations. Frequently advises on the strategic plan to achieve car sharing legislation in all 50 states.
• Analyze existing and proposed laws and regulations for impact on Avail.
• Develop responsive and proactive legislative strategies, including drafting legislation and position papers.
• Develop Avail’s external relationships, including building coalitions for Avail’s public policy efforts, academic experts to research the industry, influencers who can help to drive growth and/or facilitate policy efforts, business partners who can help to scale Avail, and others.
• Oversee Avail’s community relations initiatives.
• Counsels team on emerging public policy and legislative risks.
• Consult with Avail compliance team and key stakeholders regarding political and regulatory implications of existing or new programs.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Juris Doctorate strongly preferred
• 4-7 years of experience
• Policy experience, including experience as a legislative staffer
• Intermediate legal and business skills
• World class communication and public speaking skills
• Seasoned relationship manager; experience with managing large and complex sets of stakeholders—including legislative coalitions
• Project management skills
• Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
• Demonstrates ethics and integrity
• Ability to thrive in a fast paced, cross regional, diverse, and dynamic work environment
• Embody the Avail team’s 5 core values: Transparency, Collaboration, Bias for Action, Customer-Obsession, and Integrity
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
Learn more here
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
Job posted: 2020-10-15