Aviation Regulatory Affairs Lead
Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
About your role:
As Head of Aviation Regulatory Affairs at Loon, you will be responsible for advising and managing a wide range of aviation matters to help move our business forward, including building, maintaining, and growing relationships with aviation influencers and regulators on a worldwide basis. You will work on varied and exciting matters related to Loon which require creative and proactive guidance, in novel areas where the regulatory regime is often unclear or undefined, at local, state, federal and international levels both in the US and abroad. You will be part of an adaptable, dynamic and creative team, and the projects you take on will challenge you to think big and differently. This role offers the unique opportunity to develop and implement strategies to address trends in regulatory environments, including identifying and surfacing both short and long-term regulatory risks and opportunities, providing guidance on regulatory compliance, and working cross-functionally to accelerate Loon’s product development and go-to-market strategies. Our ideal candidate must be collaborative, have a can-do attitude, and be ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business.
This role is based in our Mountain View, CA headquarters and requires international travel.
What you will do:
- Lead international, federal, state and local aviation regulatory matters in support of cross-functional teams, actively support go-to-market efforts from a regulatory perspective.
- Advise on aviation regulatory matters, including development and implementation of regulatory strategies, overflight permissions, internal policies and programs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners, regulators and industry groups on a local, state, federal and international level, navigating agency dynamics and informal advisory channels.
- Work closely with and advise Loon’s cross-functional teams to address complex issues from Product, Engineering, Business Development, Marketing, Communications, and Legal from the initial stages of product development to scaled commercial operation.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of requests from Product, Engineering, Business Development, and other business groups on regulatory implications for product features and functionalities.
- Advanced Degree (JD, MA, MBA or PhD, or similar) and/or 10+ years of work experience in the aviation area with experience navigating a complex, multi-jurisdictional regulatory structure.
- Ability to navigate international regulatory agencies and build coalitions to de-risk regulatory regimes.
- Experience advising on product development, internal compliance and transactional matters.
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Strong aptitude to quickly gain fluency in new subject matter areas, experience with emerging markets and novel, innovative technologies.
- Experience advising business, product and/or engineering teams on regulatory issues relating to the development of emerging technology, hardware and software products and services.
- Experience developing strategies and providing thought leadership to tackle novel multi-jurisdictional regulatory matters through working with regulators, industry groups and partners.
- Experience developing proactive regulatory policy positions to advance business needs and providing advice and recommendations on complex and ambiguous strategic issues that have or may have a significant impact on business activities and operations.
- Strong project management, relationship building and presentation skills with proven ability to excel in a leanly staffed environment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-07-25