Aviation Regulatory Counsel
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
We are looking for an Aviation Regulatory Counsel to support our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification objectives. In this role, you will create order, develop and implement processes, and unify Zipline teams working on or impacted by aviation regulations. You will lead regulatory approval processes for cutting edge UAS technology in new markets throughout the United States. Your work will have an impact on Zipline’s operations across the globe, safely bridging the gap between existing aviation regulations applied to UAS and the technological innovation in UAS delivery spearheaded by Zipline.
You will collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Manufacturing, Field Operations, Software, Policy and additional teams, listening and drawing from their expertise, experiences and needs. Your responsibilities on day one will be big: success in this role means developing expertise in the cutting-edge field of UAS aviation regulations, setting up an aviation compliance framework, and playing a central role in drafting and executing the regulatory strategy that opens skyways for millions of Americans to reliable, on-demand access to essential medical supplies.
To thrive, you must have the right balance of 1) enthusiasm for program management execution, 2) regulatory acumen and 3) a passion for cutting-edge problem solving.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead Zipline’s aviation regulatory process development and implementation across multiple functions.
- Provide daily support of Zipline’s various certification efforts; work cross-functionally to develop the best plan for timely and successful certification.
- Strengthen regulatory approval efforts by coordinating activities of the team, monitoring progress and removing obstacles along the way.
- Maintain Zipline’s regulatory files, regulatory database, and system for tracking communication with regulators.
- Drive efficient execution of cross-functional regulatory projects and regulatory support for product teams.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 3-5 years’ experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience in a highly regulated industry, e.g. Part 21, 43, 91, 121, 135 or 145 operations, quality control, compliance, safety, healthcare, transportation, unmanned aviation programs or a combination thereof.
- Experience in a program management or leadership role with deep ownership of the outcome of projects.
- Experience reviewing processes and process documentation to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Strong, effective written and spoken communication skills; the ability to build strong relationships with internal business teams and external stakeholders.
- Grit, resourcefulness, and resilience; an ability to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments.
Must be eligible to work in the US.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Job posted: 2021-07-26