Banks and Biodiversity Policy Campaigner
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s Economic Policy Program works to create a more environmentally sustainable and socially just economy by transforming the rules, incentives, and practices of the financial, economic and political system.
The campaigner will help influence and implement the exciting, new Banks and Biodiversity campaign, which calls on banks to exclude harmful financing or investments in biodiverse areas. The campaign advocates for banks and financial institutions to adopt a No Go policy to protect biodiverse areas into their institutional exclusionary policies, while recognizing and prioritizing the rights of indigenous and affected communities. As part of this exciting, new campaign, you will help amplify the voices of local communities in underscoring why banks should take stronger action in protecting people and biodiversity. This role is ideal for creative, patient, think “outside the box” individuals. The successful candidate will be positive, enthusiastic, and capable, and have a knack for making progress and finding solutions under tough time constraints and advocacy conditions.
- Assist the International Finance Manager in implementing strategic campaign plans related to the Banks and Biodiversity campaign, such as conducting research, identifying key campaign partners, managing partner relationships, drafting advocacy materials, among others. .
- Engage with banks in meetings, discussions, or other forums to advocate for sustainable environmental, social, and biodiversity policies and practices.
- Conduct research and analysis to develop reports and articles, factsheets, and other campaign materials to educate decision makers, allies, opinion leaders, the press and the public.
- Participate and represent FoE in meetings within international coalitions.
- Assist project-affected communities to amplify their voices in a respectful manner.
- Represent Friends of the Earth before banks, policymakers, in media interviews and/or at events to support campaign objectives.
- Update the campaign’s online web presence as needed.
- Occasional international travel (when safe travel resumes)
- Assist the International Finance Program Manager in other related advocacy as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with international policy advocacy experience
- Three or more years of experience and demonstrated success in international campaigning and policy advocacy, preferably in the realms of international development, biodiversity, energy and climate change.
- A demonstrated commitment to the environment and social justice.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding cross-cultural interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional ability to synthesize complex ideas into clear, simple, and compelling arguments.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to build trust and consensus.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Ability to balance and successfully complete a wide range of campaign activities including policy analysis, advocacy, organizing, public speaking, research, and communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well within diverse coalitions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once in a self-directed manner.
- Collaboratively engage as part of a fast-moving and results-oriented team, work in coordination with a diverse group of coalition partners from different backgrounds and countries, and adapt to quickly changing environments.
- Sophisticated public speaking skills and comfort with presenting complex material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses and/or government officials.
- Excellent decision-making, time management, and networking skills. Ability to conduct advocacy with flexibility and creativity.
- Proficiency in other languages, particularly Chinese (Mandarin)
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-28