Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Black Engagement Deputy Director
Reports To: National Engagement Director
Department: Cycle of Engagement
Work Location: In-Office (DC Headquarters)
Job Type: Full-Time, Salary Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Position Summary: The Black Engagement Deputy Director is responsible for collaborating across departments and serving as a strategic partner to understand and engage Black voters and communities, communicate with Black voters and communities, build relationships with partners in this field, and uplift the DCCC and our candidates to these groups and voters.
- Manage paid communications including budget to Black voters and within Black communities.
- Manage a team of consultants for paid media program implementation.
- Manage in-district staff responsible for on the ground community engagement and organizing.
- Provide strategic support to the Campaigns teams in the work to engage and persuade Black voters and communities to support Democratic congressional candidates and campaigns.
- Set and track progress to goal for engagement with Black voters and communities.
- Work with vendors to develop constituency specific research including polls and focus groups in target districts.
- Collaborate across internal departments to ensure programmatic integration and maximize impact, including but not limited to:
- Communications team to develop strategies for on-the-ground communications and national messaging in engaging with press, including constituency media, to uplift DCCC candidates,
- Targeting & Analytics team to share information and findings on constituency specific research,
- Stakeholder and Member Engagement team to communicate with the Congressional Black Caucus, CBCPAC and Partner and Allies on relevant research and investments, and
- Organizing team to implement effective outreach with on-the-ground organizers and digital mobilization.
- Work with targeted Congressional campaigns to build surrogate and constituency engagement plans that advance their strategic goals.
- Support the DCCC and congressional campaigns’ efforts to build and strengthen relationships with mission-driven groups, community leaders and other surrogates to identify partnership opportunities to uplift our work.
- Attend and represent DCCC at constituency specific events both internally and externally with partners that advance the goals of the engagement team.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Demonstrated competency with current issues impacting the Black community.
- Three cycles of campaign, political, advocacy or organizing experience preferred but not required.
- Experience on the record or in a communications department preferred but not required.
- Experience with Microsoft office, especially Excel, is required, and experience with G suite is strongly preferred.
- Experience coordinating work across multiple departments and also managing projects in an independent fashion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a timely manner. Careful attention to detail, accuracy in performing job duties and acts with a sense of urgency.
- Draws from team members’ strengths, empowering them to maximize their talents; contributes where needed to achieve and exceed goals; mentors and guides colleagues with regular feedback and recognition; clearly lays out vision and expectations to the team
- Proactively fosters an inclusive atmosphere and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant and productive ways
- Personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.
- Proven interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships with staff at all levels
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with a positive, “no job is too big or too small” attitude.
- Dedication to electing Democratic members to the House of Representatives.
Why You Should Work Here:
- We recognize and reward hard work
- A high-quality benefit package for all eligible employees that includes:
- More than 25 days of paid time off (which includes federal holidays, time off around the holidays, vacation, and sick days)
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance where 100% of the monthly premium is paid for by DCCC for employees, families, and dependents/partners.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) and Life insurance provided to all DCCC employees, paid for fully by DCCC.
- Up to 6% retirement employer match contribution
- Monthly mobile phone stipend
- Monthly metro benefits (for employees located in the DC region only)
- Gym Access (for employees located in the DC region only)
- Opportunity to contribute at a growing, dynamic national political committee working to sustain the Democratic congressional majority to advocate on issues America care about most.
- Learn, develop, and hone professional skills related to running and operating multi-dimensional political campaigns and the operating systems that support the campaigns.
- Experience working with the largest Democratic battlefield, containing numerous highly competitive campaigns in diverse districts across the nation.
- Opportunities to expand your network and engage with policy makers, political candidates, Democratic Party leaders and a diverse team of professionals and colleagues.
- Gain experience in cross-team interaction and exposure to other functions and departments within the DCCC.
- Equity and inclusion are actively integrated into decisions made at Senior Team and Department levels regarding hiring, contracting, and political strategy
- Professional Development programming dedicated to personal and professional growth beyond the 2024 election cycle)
About the DCCC:
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) is the official national Democratic campaign committee charged with electing Democrats to the U. S. House of Representatives. The DCCC recruits Democratic candidates and supports Democratic campaigns – both challengers and Democratic incumbent Members – with a variety of services including field operations, fundraising support, communications assistance, digital strategy, research support and management consulting. In addition, the DCCC’s Independent Expenditure supports these campaigns with television, radio, digital, and other voter contact efforts. The DCCC is supported by the contributions of individuals and organizations, along with Democratic Members, from throughout the country. We look for talented and hard-working professionals who are committed to electing Democrats and protecting the House majority.
Equal Opportunity/Diversity Policy:
DCCC prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), religion, age, disability, actual or perceived gender identity or expression, weight, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, economic status, genetic information, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. DCCC is an equal opportunity employer and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment
DCCC’s equal opportunity policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of DCCC, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a DCCC employee, as well as opportunities for vendors to contract with DCCC. DCCC is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country and the Democratic Party. Working towards the goal of a diverse DCCC, our policy extends to both staff and vendors.
Diversity Mission Statement:
The diversity mission of DCCC is for DCCC to reflect the diversity of the country, which strengthens the core mission of electing House Democrats. To that end, DCCC strives to create an inclusive environment that cultivates and supports diversity at every organizational level, including its staff, candidates, and contractors.
Job posted: 2023-09-07