Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Brand Communications Manager
Salary: based on location and experience
(up to $72,800 Washington, DC)
Primary Purpose of the Position:
Now in its second century of protecting America’s national parks, NPCA is building a movement to ensure that these special places thrive — and are representative of and welcoming to all Americans. These ideas are not only central to NPCA’s strategic plan — they reflect our commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion that guide our work. By growing NPCA’s capacity for communications and storytelling that inspire park visitors and advocates of all ages and backgrounds — including and with a special emphasis on Spanish language speakers — the Brand Communications Manager will play a vital role in helping to build that movement.
As both a creative content producer and a dedicated resource for staff across the organization, the Brand Communications Manager helps to ensure that NPCA’s mission, work and impact are communicated clearly, consistently, and compellingly to all audiences. A key member of the Content Team within the Communications Department, the Brand Communications Manager is responsible for creating, overseeing, and ensuring the consistency of internal and brand communications. This includes developing relevant guidelines and resources, organizing and managing creative assets, and helping to guide the translation ― and ultimately the creation ― of Spanish language materials. Reporting to the Senior Managing Director of Digital & Editorial Strategy, the Brand Communications Manager serves on the Brand Team, works closely with colleagues on the Content and Media & Outreach Teams, and regularly collaborates with staff of all levels across the entire organization to create clear, compelling materials that consistently convey NPCA’s mission, work, brand and values to all audiences.
Essential Functions: % of Time
- Serve as a key staff resource for ensuring clear, accurate, consistent messaging about NPCA’s mission, work and brand across media and platforms. Manage internal brand communications guidelines. Generate, manage and maintain brand and messaging resources, toolkits and creative assets. Manage and maintain internal digital asset management systems and photo libraries, including staff access and training. (40%)
- Produce, review and edit select communications pieces and products developed across the organization. Manage and monitor intake process for priority and need. Identify projects requiring additional care, attention or resources for Senior Managing Director, Digital & Editorial Strategy. (30%)
- Help to manage the Spanish translation of select and strategic content and editorial products, ensuring their accuracy, relevance, and cultural sensitivity. Lay the groundwork for the creation of original Spanish-language content for the organization. (30%)
Respects employees regardless of their position or background. Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems. Participates in administrative staff meetings, organization-wide meetings, staff committee meetings, training programs, and attends other meetings and seminars as designated by the supervisor. Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position.
Minimum Work Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 32-hour work week
Minimum Scope of Position: Interacts with staff of all levels across departments.
Minimum Qualifications, Competencies, Skills, Education, and Traits:
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Media or Journalism or equivalent experience. A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. The ideal candidate would be a talented and flexible communications professional with native-level proficiency in both English and Spanish.
- 4-5 years related experience
- Experience in brand, organizational or issues-based communications and storytelling
- Demonstrated proficiency researching, writing, editing and producing print and digital content
- Demonstrated effectiveness in transforming nuanced or complicated subject matter into engaging communications for lay and multicultural audiences on multiple platforms
- Impeccable grasp of the English language; native or bilingual proficiency in Spanish essential
- Familiarity with digital asset and content management systems
- Familiarity creating and upholding brand, style, and usage guides
- Initiative, organization, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated interest in national parks and public lands and awareness and understanding of the issues affecting them
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, tact and comfort working with staff of all levels
- Ability to manage time, schedules, and priorities, including working on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations. Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Live, honor, and own the organization’s Core Values:
Commitment: We are passionate about NPCA and dedicated to achieving excellence through our work and mission. We seek to improve our performance by taking opportunities for professional and personal development and encouraging reasonable risk-taking and innovation.
Inclusion: We value diversity of thought, background, experience, and opinion. We create a culture of empowerment by welcoming and encouraging meaningful participation from all people and promoting an environment that embraces different perspectives.
Integrity: We hold ourselves accountable to each other, our members and partners, and our mission. We evaluate the impact of our work and strive for honesty and transparency across the organization. We operate ethically in the organization’s best interests.
Respect: We collaborate in results-oriented teams based on trust and consideration for each other. We promote harmony between our work and our personal lives. We foster a healthy and positive workplace culture and work collaboratively with external partners.
Physical Effort and Dexterity: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is typically required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee may lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
NPCA is committed to diversity among its employees and hiring practices. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Physical Environment: Typical office setting; cube
Employer’s Rights: NPCA reserves the right to revise this position description at any time. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the NPCA and employee and is subject to change by the NPCA as the needs of the NPCA and requirements of the job change. The above is in no way an exhaustive list of the requirements for the position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-24