C4J Community Engagement Specialist
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a skilled practitioner to serve as a C4J Community Engagement Specialist. The C4J Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for supporting community-centered implementation of CPE’s C4J service delivery model, as well as providing development and implementation support to the Community Engagement team in reimagining public safety and other social impact and partnership needs.
C4J is a new initiative aimed at providing statistical analyses and strategic guidance to law enforcement agencies (LEAs) in support of their efforts to reduce racial disparities in policing outcomes.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Community Engagement, the C4J Community Engagement Specialist will support communities and Law Enforcement Chiefs’ ability to: 1. build broad and effective coalitions of stakeholders; 2. address concerns and achieve legitimacy with communities; 3. understand data and its role in informing strategy and practice for a reduction in racial disparities; 4. identify and resolve risks to strategic plans and community engagement, and 5. support best practices for change management.
The C4J Community Engagement Specialist must be an effective leader with the ability to supervise and collaborate on any internal and external Community Engagement team needs. It is also necessary that the Specialist ensures that communities and other key stakeholders are empowered to advocate for and implement the changes they wish to see in their communities and have an optimal engagement with CPE and the Community Engagement team.
- Facilitate community involvement and elevate community voices at all appropriate stages of the C4J process
- Translate research findings into recommendations, strategy, and change management practices for communities to employ
- Elicit cooperation, understanding, and reconciliation amongst parties that historically struggle to actively and efficiently collaborate with one another (e.g., community, police officers, political actors)
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop work programs, timelines, and planning documentation
- Ensure high-quality client service by directing daily progress of fieldwork, informing Senior Director of Community Engagement of engagement status, and managing team performance
- Seek opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of deliverables and services
- Elevate and resolve areas of concern as raised by communities and key stakeholders and proactively provide solutions to ameliorate concerns
- Act as a subject matter resource in regards to racial equity, policing, and community engagement
- Coordinate internal resources to ensure effective service with communities and key stakeholders and to ensure needs are met
- Work closely with the Product Discovery team to evaluate and improve the C4J program from the Community Engagement perspective
- Triage special requests made for CE services that fall outside of traditional program service deliverables
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of experience in government, community relations, community organizing, or related field; experience with project planning and community programming preferred
- Knowledge of complex public service systems and of issues of structural racism and racial discrimination in the US
- Demonstrated legitimacy with vulnerable communities
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with individuals from different backgrounds and disciplines
- Experience with managing organization-wide strategies and change management plans
- Experience managing diverse teams and complex projects through soft influence techniques
- Ability to use critical thinking to navigate and analytically solve complex problems
- Ability to work independently and elicit trust in judgment (can make trusted recommendations) from the Senior Director
- Passionate about social justice issues
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-07