U.S. PIRG is hiring a Campaign Associate to join our Tax Watchdog Campaign. The campaign associate will be taking on one of the most important issues facing our democracy.
Tax and budget decisions are the most concrete way that communities declare priorities and balance competing values. Unfortunately, government decisions about how to raise revenue and support public functions often fail to best advance the public interest.
We want to take on good government issues, where the general public will agree with our positions, and we can make real social change. It is not possible to ensure that government decisions serve the public interest unless information is publicly accessible. Transparency is key to reform. Companies should prosper based on their efficiency and innovation, not because their high-powered lobbyists and accountants enable them to use offshore tax havens and shell companies to dodge their taxes. Likewise, private companies that receive contracts and subsidies must be held to task for their actions. Spending and tax incentives should encourage actions that are good for society and the environment, while discouraging bad behaviors, like oil spills or bank scams.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-04