Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Campaign Organizer or Senior Campaign Organizer – Land Use
ANHD seeks a Campaign Organizer or Senior Campaign Organizer to lead campaigns for Land Use Justice in New York City.
The Association for Neighborhood & Housing Development (ANHD) is one of NYC’s leading policy/advocacy organizations on housing and economic development. We are a member-association of 80+ neighborhood-based affordable housing and community development groups. Join us and together we will Build. Community. Power.
ANHD’s values are the foundation of the work that we do, and we are deeply committed to the importance of movement-building in pursuit of the justice, equity and opportunity that Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and marginalized communities deserve.
From support for some of the biggest neighborhood rezoning fights of the past 8 years to leading campaigns for citywide comprehensive planning, ANHD is a leading voice in the fight to transform New York City’s approach to land use and planning in order to achieve a more equitable future. The person in this position will have the opportunity to build powerful coalitions and lead strategic, impactful campaigns to advance the movement for land use justice in New York City and beyond.
· Lead campaigns for land use justice in New York City
o Work with members, allies, and ANHD policy staff to develop creative and impactful policy and legislative campaigns that build towards long-term, transformative goals.
o Build and maintain strong, equity-oriented coalitions of grassroots organizing, policy, advocacy, and legal services groups to advance strategic policy goals and build collective power.
o Work with ANHD’s communications staff to develop and implement strategic press, social media, and other communications strategies suited to each campaign.
o With coalition members, plan and carry out actions such as rallies, press conferences, speak-outs, banner-drops, petition drives, etc.
o Work with ANHD policy staff and coalition members to develop and execute lobbying campaigns, and build relationships with key legislators, policy-makers, government-officials, and other relevant stakeholders.
o Support leadership development opportunities for ANHD member organizations’ staff and grassroots community members in campaign and coalition spaces.
· Represent ANHD publicly and in movement spaces
o Speak at hearings, on panels, at press conferences, and in other public forums relevant to campaigns.
o Attend and represent ANHD at meetings, calls, conferences and events to support ANHD members and movement allies, and contribute strategic support to relevant campaigns or coalitions led by allied organizations.
· Contribute to ANHD Organizing Team and Organization-wide work
o Participate in ANHD Organizing Team meetings, and collaborate with fellow organizers to ensure strong and consistent campaign work and to build power for ANHD and our members across all our coalitions and committees.
o Work with ANHD capacity-building staff to ensure that trainings and capacity building programs align with campaign needs.
o Participate in staff meetings, work planning processes, slack channels, etc to ensure internal collaboration.
o Contribute to all-staff events such as ANHD’s annual conference.
· 3-6 years of organizing and/or advocacy experience in community organizing, labor, housing, economic justice, or related fields. Experience with coalition coordination is preferred.
· Experience leading issue-based policy, land use, or legislative campaigns, and ability to lead coalition processes to identify priorities, develop campaign strategies, and carry out both short- and long-term campaigns.
· Familiarity with NYC legislative, budget, and land use processes, and general political landscape.
· Experience creating & using popular education-style materials and training curricula.
· Ability to effectively manage and advance work within a highly collaborative environment.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills for a wide variety of audiences.
· Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and partners, including tenant leaders, community organizers, housing developers, policy experts, elected officials, agency staff, etc.
· Commitment to New York City’s neighborhoods, respect for not-for-profit community-based organizations, and a belief in grassroots organizing as a method of building power to address systemic inequality and injustice.
Commitment to racial equity, and comfort applying a racial equity lens to policy and advocacy work as well as to interpersonal professional interactions and relationships.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-31