Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight to achieve racial, economic, and social justice, and a society that works for all of us. Our campaigns focus on critical issues like ending mass incarceration and state violence, education, voting rights, health care, fair elections, a more progressive tax system. We have won and achieved significant improvements in New Yorkers’ lives and have elected many progressive candidates to office. Citizen Action of New York works on both statewide and local issues and has eight regional grassroots offices. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and campaigns fighting for bold policy changes including the Alliance for Quality Education, the #FREEnewyork Campaign, the Release Aging People in Prison Campaign, NY Renews and the Health Care for All New York Coalition. Citizen Action is currently seeking a Campaigns Manager to join our team. This position can be based in Albany or Kingston. If you have strong experience managing legislative and policy campaigns, developing and advancing grassroots strategies, a serious commitment to ending mass criminalization and mass incarceration, and you like working with a diverse group of people committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Reports to Statewide Political Director and is responsible for coordination and management of campaign work.
● Collaborate with Political Director and Movement Politics Director to develop and advance grassroots and political strategy at the local and statewide level.
● Work closely with Citizen Action leadership, statewide and regional staff, membership and coalition partners to develop messaging, policy and campaigns priorities.
● Work closely with the Movement Politics Director to inform on the ground regional organizing efforts to meet our collective goals.
● Legislative lobbying on relevant issues; Management of relationships with elected officials.
● Develop and build relationships with partner organizations and key stakeholders; Represent Citizen Action in coalitions and at public facing events and meetings.
● Responsible for regularly communicating campaign updates and needs to staff, members and volunteers.
● Organize lobby days, actions, media coverage and other campaigns activities; Supports social media and digital organizing strategy.
● Support the training and leadership development of people directly impacted by mass incarceration in regions across the state to lead policy advocacy.
● Engage in writing projects, assist in drafting and editing campaign materials, talking points, organizer toolkits, and other advocacy documents.
● Participate in fundraising for the program from mid and high-level donors and foundations.
● 2 – 3 years of professional experience working on grassroots organizing campaigns, issue-based
campaigns, legislative campaigns required.
● Highly organized with demonstrated success developing and advancing programs and campaigns.
● Ability to engage a variety of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, forums, and elected officials.
● Demonstrated success in setting priorities, shaping processes, and developing infrastructure that creates strong and efficient advocacy efforts.
● Excellent communication, negotiation, and coalition building skills; Excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills; Experience navigating cross-agency partnerships.
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to present information clearly in a variety of formats and styles for different audiences.
● A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills; Keen attention to detail.
● Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
● Ability for statewide travel and to work some evenings and weekends.
● Supervisory and fundraising experience helpful;
● Experience with local, federal, and/or New York State politics desired;
● Ability to draft documents in Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits: $55k – $65k, Salary commensurate with experience. Full health benefits.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter. Click here to learn more.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2020-11-10