CESNA Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst
New America is seeking a policy analyst interested in pursuing a career in education policy. The policy analyst will work on several projects under New America’s Center on Education and Skills (CESNA). New America is a public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. We engage in longer-term research and react to the policy issues of the day. The ideal candidate is intellectually curious, entrepreneurial, and able to help form new ideas in federal policy. The policy analyst should possess a belief in evidence-based analysis, removed from partisan or ideological frameworks.
New America’s Education Policy Program uses original research and policy analysis to solve the nation’s critical education problems, serving as a trusted source of objective analysis and innovative ideas for policymakers, educators, and the public at large. The Center on Education and Skills is housed within the Education Policy Program and is dedicated to broadening the array of high-quality educational options for students of all ages, including through greater access to apprenticeship and work-based learning opportunities. Housed within our broader Education Policy Program, the Center reaches across the traditional silos of higher education and workforce development to identify strategies for improving the quality of technical education and strengthening linkages between learning and work, and schools and local economies.
Center staff author blog posts, op-eds, and policy papers using original research and analysis. They also convene stakeholders around policy development opportunities and organize events designed to engage and education the public. CESNA Staff also provide technical assistance to policymakers and journalists and aim to shape how policymakers and the media understand the complex relationship between higher education, vocational education, and workforce development policy and practice.
This successful candidate will primarily support the Partnership to Advance Youth Apprenticeship (PAYA), a multi-year initiative that supports the growth and sustainability of youth apprenticeship through a combination of place-based investments and strategic field-building activities. Led by New America, PAYA convenes and mobilizes the expertise, experience, and collective networks of national, state, and regional partners to improve public awareness of high-quality youth apprenticeship; intensify learning about the conditions and strategies necessary to develop successful youth apprenticeship programs and systems; and provide direct support to emerging and existing place-based youth apprenticeship partnerships across the U.S.
To learn more about PAYA, the work of the PAYA National Partners, and the innovative partnerships PAYA supports, please visit newamerica.org/paya.
- Research and report on a wide array of policy issues related to the intersection of secondary education, post-secondary education, and skills development, with special emphasis on apprenticeship and career and technical education.
- Develop and manage relationships with leading practitioners, strategic partners, and external experts working on similar issues.
- Contribute to the development of tools, resources, and other technical assistance products to support program & policy development and systems change efforts at the local, state, and federal level.
- Assist with planning and convening events to showcase the team’s work.
- Represent New America at external events, including occasional panels, conferences, and symposia.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 years of relevant policy experience related to career and technical education, workforce development, and higher education policy.
- Experience supporting program implementation and/or systems-change initiatives in partnership with federal, state and/or city government
- Strong organizational skills—candidates should have the ability to manage across teams and to prioritize multiple streams of work to meet internal and external deadlines.
- Excellent work ethic matched by openness to feedback and collaboration.
- Inclined to think independently and challenge conventional wisdom in education policy.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, explaining how you meet the criteria for this role in line with the job description. Salary package commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. New America is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-26