Chair, US Public Affairs
Edelman Public Affairs
Edelman Public Affairs comprises over 300 team members across the globe and works across Edelman’s global roster of clients. Spanning the US, Canada, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia, our team is truly global in nature and works on some of the world’s more exciting clients and work.
Nearly 100 team members work in the United States, in Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Sacramento and many other offices across the country. Our work compromises advisory public affairs – regulatory support and policy advice – as well as advocacy public affairs – digital PA, campaigning, and government work. We have fantastic talent across our offices, and we are undertaking some impressive work.
Edelman Public Affairs is seeking an accomplished leader capable of developing and executing upon a national strategy that reinforces Edelman’s dominance as a Public Affairs consultancy across the US. You should have deep experience in both the advisory and advocacy side of our offering and an ability to drive both legislative and regulatory change at the state, federal and international level.
While we have excellent client and employee retention and strong financial performance year over year, we exist in a state of continual change: like our industry, we are constantly evolving. As in the practice, we are engaged every day in a conversation about what it takes to reach the next level of growth, not only financially but just as importantly, in the boldness and ingenuity of the work we do for clients. Our strong and growing portfolio of business includes many of the most esteemed corporations, innovative start-ups, key governments and government departments and leading NGOs.
Overview of the Opportunity
As the leader of the US Public Affairs practice, you must possess a clear understanding of the complex US policy landscape and an appreciation for how US policy impacts the global stage and visa versa.
This role requires a seasoned communications professional with experience leading policy, communications and integrated marketing teams with a proven track record of business-building success. You should have the skills to both envisage and communicate a comprehensive business and culture strategy across the US offices.
With the support of the Vice Chair of US Public Affairs and the regional US Public Affairs leadership, you will oversee a clear US “centers of excellence” approach, building teams that are complimentary but providing clients with a different services and product. This will include developing a clear growth strategy to cultivate talent, build a pipeline of new business and leverage growth opportunities within Edelman to drive revenue across the US Public Affairs practice.
You will also work closely with global PA leadership and your global peers representing APAC, China, EMEA and LATAM to ensure the US strategy compliments the goals of Edelman’s Global PA team.
You should have experience leading teams across multiple locations under one cohesive vision; demonstrate superior communication skills, charisma, and executive presence; and are hungry to learn and evolve personally, and undaunted by change or complexity. You will work closely with the leaders across Edelman’s US Executive Management Team.
Responsibilities of the Chair of US Public Affairs include:
- Serve as the US lead for the entire US PA practice, partnering with firm-wide leadership and management, as well as global peers
- Engage and inspire confidence at the C-Suite level, but serving as a senior advisor to clients
- Create a vision and plan to exceed the US practice’s current growth rate, and scale
- Lead the strategy and culture-building of the US PA team across multiples offices
- Inspire, coach, motivate and manage an accomplished senior team across the US
- Actively manage profitability; ensure your leaders are stewards of their client budgets to limit write-offs and other debt
- Be in regular contact with US leaders and global peers to drive actions, discussing new business and approach to client work and retention
- Lead top-tier new business initiatives to open new doors and close opportunities that build our portfolio in key sectors as well as contribute to organic growth
- Drive an internal and external marketing and IP strategy that drives awareness of the US PA team
- Contribute to agency thought leadership, including our signature Edelman Trust Barometer
- Ensure your team’s client programs reflect the breadth of the Edelman Communications Marketing approach: earned-centric; social by design; informed, optimized and measured by data; brought to life with stunning creative.
- In consort with Edelman’s US CEO, COO and the Global PA CEO, establish clear performance goals in support of the US PA team and the various PA practices across the US. The Chair of US PA will be evaluated on skill and behavioral competencies, with hard and soft measures including (but not limited to) revenue growth, personal leadership style, innovation and creativity, strategic thinking and contributions to the US Public Affairs practice and the Edelman’s US business.
- At least 20-25 years of experience in the government relations/marketing/PR agency world, with track record of senior leadership success
- Comprehensive understanding of the US public affairs and policy environment, with a sound appreciation of global public affairs
- Proven ability to develop and execute business strategies across multiple audiences – both internally with your teams and leaders, and externally with clients and new business prospects
- Experienced client relationship leader who can be senior-level counselor to senior clients (CEO/General Counsel/CCO/CMO/Board Directors/etc.) and importantly key public affairs and government relations leaders
- Experience at identifying client business problems and building integrated teams to provide a solution, including new Edelman tools, products, or methodologies
- Strong thought leadership/marketing presence and desire to lead public marketing initiatives for US PA
- Enthusiasm for participating in speaking opportunities and events with the US and Global PA practices and Edelman
- Ability to work across time zones and collaboratively with your peers, Edelman leadership and management, senior advisors, and key Edelman board members
Edelman is a global communications firm that partners with businesses and organizations to evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our 6,000 people in more than 60 offices deliver communications strategies that give our clients the confidence to lead and act with certainty, earning the trust of their stakeholders. Our honors include the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR; Advertising Age’s 2019 A-List; the Holmes Report’s 2018 Global Digital Agency of the Year; and, five times, Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work. Since our founding in 1952, we have remained an independent, family-run business. Edelman owns specialty companies Edelman Data & Intelligence (DxI) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
For more information please visit: www.edelman.com
Click here to view a short video about life at Edelman.
Edelman is an equal opportunity employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Job posted: 2021-06-09