Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Chief Communications and Marketing Officer
The Chief Communications and Marketing Officer (CCMO) is a senior executive responsible for developing and implementing strategic communication and marketing initiatives to enhance the organization’s brand image, reputation, and market position. The CCMO oversees all aspects of internal and external communications, public relations, marketing, and advertising activities.
The CCMO: 1) designs and implements a complex enterprise-wide communications strategy, 2) provides strategic leadership on the reputation, values and culture across the organization and audiences; 3) directs strategic message development, as well as thought leadership strategy and execution; 4) and manages Association-wide communications, including media, social media, integrated marketing, membership communications, and public education. The CCMO will work closely with NAMIs leadership team within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. The CCMO reports to the CEO.
This full-time position is based in our Arlington, VA office on a hybrid basis.
Salary Range: $185,000 – $195,000, depending upon qualifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualize, develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance NAMI’s mission and goals; broaden awareness of its priorities; and, increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences, using metrics to support success or needing to redirect strategies.
- Ensure compliance of the NAMI brand and NAMI-wide integrated marketing efforts, including establishing and implementing brand standards and NAMI marketing approaches across all offices and functions. Continuously monitors marketing efforts to identify areas for quality improvement.
- Identify and manage media opportunities, prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed, including media training for leadership.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging communication and marketing trends, technologies, and best practices, and recommend their adoption when appropriate.
- Actively cultivate, engage, and manage press relationships to ensure maximum coverage surrounding NAMI’s public announcements, special events and other initiatives, as well as enhancing NAMI’s relationships and reputation with the media.
- Be able to identify potential crisis communications situations, create potential responses and maintain a strong crisis communications protocol and capability.
- Manage the member communications team to support the development and execution of member communications strategies and content, working in partnership across the organization to integrate efforts.
- Work with other parts of the organization on member recruitment and retention efforts.
- Manage public affairs and public education communications by working in partnership with the Office of the CEO and other NAMI departments, including Advocacy & Public Policy, Information, Support & Education, Field Advnacement and Governance & Membership.
- Oversee internal NAMI Communications, draft NAMI CEO Front Office communications for NAMI senior leadership and staff when necessary.
- Maintain regular contact with NAMI state offices and affiliates located across the country to coordinate communications and co-branding opportunities.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, determine priorities and conduct annual performance reviews; manage any outside consultants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 10-20% travel, including overnight stays.
- Minimum of 15 years of communications and marketing experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) association covering areas such as media relations, social media, and member communications.
- Significant experience with integrated marketing, including plan development, implementation, and utilization of performance metrics.
- Experience with medical and health associations and ability to translate complicated research and medical issues into grassroots messaging is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence.”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Proven leadership skills that build staff capacity for leadership, responsibility for continuous improvement, and accountability for high performance and innovation.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and entrepreneurially; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Commitment to the mission and values of NAMI National.
- Must pass background check.
Your salary is only one component of the total compensation package. NAMI offers a range of standard and unique benefits that are reviewed annually:
- Generous and comprehensive Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Paid Time Off: Vacation, Personal, and Sick Leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health care, dependent care and commuter expenses
- Life Insurance and Disability coverage paid by NAMI
- Flexible Work and Telework programs
- Professional Development Reimbursement program
- A variety of wellness offerings to support team members
- Employee Referral Program
- The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which provides support for personal and family problems common in contemporary life
NAMI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. NAMI prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, genetic information or any other legally protected group status. We also provide reasonable accommodation for candidates with disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-13