Chief Communications Officer
Civic Nation seeks an innovative and experienced Chief Communications Officer (CCO) to design and implement Civic Nation’s overarching communications, digital, and messaging strategy for the entire organization and its six initiatives.
Reporting to the CEO, the CCO will be responsible for visioning, planning, and implementing a communications strategy aligning external messaging across all Civic Nation initiatives and programs. The CCO will also be charged with developing an engaging narrative and storytelling for the organization and its initiatives to further the organization’s mission, impact, and reach.
This position will oversee the press, digital, creative, and research teams. The current team of 10 strategists is expected to grow to meet the rapidly increasing needs of the organization.
The ideal candidate for this position brings at least a decade of communications experience leading on organizational messaging, thinks creatively, and has a demonstrated ability to foster an environment of collaboration and teamwork. This person should also be proactive, detail-oriented, be an excellent project and staff manager, and thrive in balancing the execution of multiple priorities.
- Lead and manage digital, press, and research teams.
- Develop a vision and strategic direction for external communications and position Civic Nation as an industry thought leader.
- Lead Civic Nation’s broad messaging strategy and support its initiatives public messaging rollouts.
- Ensure consistent messaging and collaboration across press and digital teams.
- Collaborate with senior management to develop and implement effective communication and branding strategies based on target audiences.
- Lead a staff who conduct research, write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, digital content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products, and/or services.
- Respond to media inquiries and act as a spokesperson for the organization and its initiatives, where appropriate.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the organization’s brand, and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Lead and participate in rapid response across departments and initiatives.
- Provide support to staff regarding departmental budgets and goal setting.
- Support the Civic Nation board members and chair with regard to press and messaging.
- Minimum of 10 years of communications, marketing, public relations, and/or digital experience.
- Has worked with an effective, visible advocacy organization or public policy campaign.
- Experience working for a non-profit with multiple initiatives/programs preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and success in managing a diverse, dynamic, and fast-paced team.
- Proven track record of maintaining relationships with national and local media.
- Experience in generating media interest in and coverage for policy issues.
- Values fully integrated communications across all channels, online and offline.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Excellent organizational, management, and interpersonal skills.
- A track record of getting results in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Strong ability to listen, understand, connect, earn the trust of, and collaborate with employees at all levels of the organization.
- High degree of comfort with change and working in a rapid response environment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $160,000-200,000. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees; generous paid time off; access to 401k plan, and more.
Please go to civicnation.org/careers to submit a cover letter and resume. The cover letter addressed to Kyle Lierman, should be concise, compelling, and include what makes you the best fit for this role.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Job posted: 2021-03-23