Chief Communications Officer
About the job
Join the leadership team of a nonprofit that runs toward the toughest challenges in one of the toughest diseases of our time. UsAgainstAlzheimer’s (UsA2) exists to conquer Alzheimer’s disease. We work to bring all of Us together to break down barriers, advocate for research, innovate, and drive the changes that matter most to people living with the disease. We will not rest until brain-span equals lifespan for everyone.
The Chief Communications Officer leads the organization’s communications for external and internal audiences, including development and execution of a proactive communications and public relations strategy, to enhance the organization’s important advocacy and policy goals. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is a key member of the Senior Management Team. The successful candidate will have at least a decade of experience in strategic communications on major legislative and regulatory policy issues, preferably for a nonprofit.
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan that provides proactive, digital, and reactive communications efforts to support and help deliver on the organization’s agenda towards preventing, effectively treating, and ultimately stopping Alzheimer’s disease, as well as improve the quality of life of those living with the disease and their caregivers
- Oversee and prioritize UsAgainstAlzheimer’s communications activities to both external and internal audiences in support of the priorities and pillars of the organization, including speeding treatments, early intervention, health equity, and voices of people with Alzheimer’s
- Manage outside communications and digital marketing consultants to achieve the policy agenda and digital fundraising goals. Serve as a primary reviewer of all digital content – fundraising and advocacy – to ensure accuracy and consistent messaging
- Create and direct development of UsAgainstAlzheimer’s materials aligned with the organization’s priorities and agenda, including talking points, press releases, fact sheets, op-eds, reports, website content, and social media content
- Lead media relations work, including outreach to key reporters and media outlets, responding to reporter queries, and preparing spokespersons for interviews
- Develop and execute strategies for UsA2 content channels, especially the development of a podcast series that would provide audiences with informative, engaging, and timely content
- Provide strategic counsel on communications issues to senior leadership, the Board of Directors, and subject matter experts. Leverage UsAgainstAlzheimer’s programs, partners, and Board members to advance and achieve policy and strategic goals
- Collaborate closely with Chief Government Affairs and Policy Officer and senior leadership to leverage and maximize message discipline and narrative in support of the organization’s advocacy and policy goals
- Work closely with Chief Development Officer on messaging and materials development for successful fundraising campaigns and events.
- Lead development of the organization’s Annual Report in partnership with Chief Development Officer
- At least 10-15 years of strategic communications experience for organizations on major legislative and regulatory policy issues. Specific experience in communications leadership for nonprofit organizations a plus
- Experience leading and directing results-oriented campaigns for policy advocacy
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively with print, broadcast, and digital communications outlets and channels
- Documented storytelling experience. Relevant experience working for public relations agencies desirable
- Strong understanding of policy and political landscape including key Congressional committees of jurisdiction, and how communications can be used to condition the environment and impact policy
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of UsAgainstAlzheimer’s, understanding of the pertinent issues, and the ability to articulate the case for the mission and programs
- Demonstrated ability to be part of a team, encouraging teamwork and an atmosphere of collaboration and respect among coworkers and partners
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- BA degree required; advanced degree preferable
This is a full-time, salaried position. We prefer the role be based in the Washington D.C. area but can be flexible for exceptional candidates.
We believe that ending Alzheimer’s will require bringing all of us to the fight. As a result, keys to our work are advocating, convening, innovating, and collaborating—with those living with the disease, government, other advocacy groups, industry, researchers, and thought leaders. We are committed to the following objectives:
- Increase public and private resources for Alzheimer’s research
- Increase the diversity and speed of clinical trials for Alzheimer’s disease
- Increase attention to brain health to delay onset of Alzheimer’s and increase early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of Alzheimer’s
- Include insights and preferences of individuals living with Alzheimer’s and their care partners in research, drug development, regulatory, and Medicare decisions
- Advance national care goals and policies in support of individuals living with Alzheimer’s and their care partners
- Catalyze a movement to demand effective, accessible prevention, testing, and treatment
- Until we eliminate the disease itself, eliminate its disparate impact on women and people of color
UsAgainstAlzheimer’s promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. UsAgainstAlzheimer’s does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with (1) your resume and (2) a cover letter describing your interest and experience relating to this position. Please note Chief Communications Officer in the subject line and let us know how you learned of the position. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Job posted: 2021-07-27