Chief Economist and Head of Research, Office of Economics and Research
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA is seeking a Chief Economist and Head of Research, Office of Economics and Research who will build, maintain and lead preeminent research and data capabilities necessary for ABA to be the recognized voice of the banking industry and its trusted source for data and analytics. With a focus on applied research integral to supporting and driving ABA’s policy and communications agenda, the Office of Economics and Research conducts industry surveys and benchmarking studies, convenes leading member economists, publishes analyses of the industry’s financial condition and performance, reviews the condition of the FDIC insurance fund and assessment structure, and reports on the essential role of banks in broader financial markets and in fostering inclusive economic and community growth. The Office also provides data to support the Association’s strategic planning and business decisions.
· Build, maintain and lead preeminent research and data capabilities necessary for ABA to be the recognized voice of the banking industry and its trusted source for data and analytics.
· Manage a professional staff of 10 economists, data scientists and analysts.
· Provide strategic direction to create industry surveys and benchmarking studies that yield high response rates and unique data sets.
· Oversee ABA Economic Advisory Committee of leading bank economists.
· Provide analytical and insightful commentary on ABA’s proprietary financial condition and performance reports.
· Work closely with ABA advocacy staff in developing policy positions that are data-driven and fact-based.
· Provide data to support the Association’s strategic planning and business decisions.
· Work closely with ABA banker committees and policy issue experts to identify and respond to research and data needs. This includes but is not limited to:
o Agricultural lending
o Commercial real estate
o Consumer lending
o ESG trends
o Inclusive industry practices
o Nonbank financial providers
o Operations risk
o Residential mortgages
o Small business lending
A minimum of 20+ years of professional experience.
· PhD required.
· Possesses the vision, leadership skills, policy orientation and technical expertise to build out and oversee preeminent financial and policy research operation.
· Ability to connect with CEOs and bank economists of large and small member institutions as well as with senior policymakers.
· Proven communication, presentation and writing skills.
· Technical skills necessary to oversee and lead ABA data and statistical functions.
· Demonstrated experience in developing and supporting policy formation.
· Deep understanding of banking and finance markets.
· Leadership skills, demonstrated by a proven track record of managing staff across a variety of professional levels and creating a strong and collaborative team environment.
· Skillful as a public speaker and media spokesperson.
· Significant degree of judgment required.
· Private sector experience in a financial services company is a plus, or support of such companies in a client relationship.
· Experience building out highly secure platforms for proprietary data.
Job posted: 2021-02-11