Chief External Affairs Officer
About the Organization:
Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth.
About the Position:
Primarily an external-facing leader, the Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO) is an exceptional catalyst, creating innovative resource and partnership opportunities for Literacy Partners. A seasoned executive-level professional, the CEAO is responsible for planning, managing, and overseeing the implementation of activities that increase, diversify and sustain philanthropic support, particularly from major donors and corporations. The CEAO will also grow our network of influential friends and allies. Leading a department of 6-7 staff and several consultants, this individual will develop and drive overall strategies in the areas of fundraising, marketing, and communications.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and working closely with the Board of Directors, this position is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will join our diverse, social justice-oriented team of 28 staff and more than 100 interns and volunteers.
• Develop and lead the overall strategy for Literacy Partners to achieve revenue and brand goals
• Design and lead new strategies for major gifts to drive a significant increase in year over year giving and for planned giving to create future revenue streams
• Expand our base of financial support and grow our network of influential friends and allies
• Cultivate Board giving and active engagement in fundraising efforts
• Develop organization-wide culture and process for relationship building, cultivation, and brand building
• Lead a team of seven development professionals and supervise the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Senior Director of Institutional Advancement, and Director of Special Events and Annual Giving
• Facilitate communications and coordination between the Board of Directors and the fundraising staff
• Optimize internal systems and processes to support continuous quality improvement and regular reporting to internal and external stakeholders
• Become one of the key voices of Literacy Partners in pitch meetings, social gatherings, our annual gala dinner, and external events of all kinds
• Engage in thought leadership and leverage available platforms to advance the Literacy Partners brand
• At least five (5) years in an executive-level external affairs position which includes fundraising responsibilities and board cultivation
• Proven fundraising experience and success with major gift solicitation from individuals and organizations, and with developing cultivation and stewardship processes for donor relationships; a record of successfully diversifying funding sources
• Demonstrated experience excelling at data-driven strategizing and implementation to achieve measurable results in revenue growth
• Experience overseeing the production of effective fundraising, marketing, communications materials
• Has existing relationships with executive-level personnel at potential funding agencies for Literacy Partners
• Excellent communications skills (written and oral), is dynamic, can pitch without inhibition, and is comfortable asking for big money
• Responsible for the recruitment, training, supervision, and coaching of Development and Marketing staff and to successfully achieve organizational goals and objectives
• Has a sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary DOE and Benefits include:
• 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
• Excellent medical, vision and dental plan
• Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply: Send resume with a brief cover letter attached to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Chief External Affairs Officer” with your name in the subject line.
Mission-driven, family-friendly work environment. We focus on results and support our team with flexibility in hours and other work arrangements to get there.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2021-11-03