Chief Policy Officer & President, ChamberSTL
Title: Chief Policy Officer & President, ChamberSTL
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Greater St. Louis, Inc. seeks a dynamic, agile, and results-driven leader to serve as its first Chief Policy Officer & President of its ChamberSTL initiative. The purpose of Greater St. Louis, Inc.’s ChamberSTL initiative is to achieve breakthrough policy outcomes that improve the long-term economic success of the bi-state St. Louis metropolitan area through data-driven decision-making, thought leadership, and advocacy that engages diverse stakeholders throughout the community. The ideal candidate for serving in this senior executive role will be a proven leader with a clear track of record of success and deep expertise in public policy development, advocacy campaigns, coalition building, stakeholder engagement, relationship management, government relations, lobbying, and strategic communications.
The leader selected for this position will be expected to:
- Advise the senior leadership of Greater St. Louis, Inc. and ChamberSTL’s advisory councils on policy priorities and advocacy strategies.
- Guide the creation of a proactive public policy agenda that advances Greater St. Louis, Inc.’s mission, initiatives, and programs.
- Develop, implement, and manage strategies and tactics for achieving desired public policy outcomes.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with governmental, business, and community stakeholders, uniting diverse interests around shared policy outcomes.
- Successfully lead a government affairs program at the local, state, and federal levels to drive inclusive economic growth and improve the long-term economic competitiveness of the bi-state St. Louis metropolitan area.
- Prepare high-quality written analyses of complex policy issues, strategic and tactical plans, and related materials.
- Lead strategic messaging and communication efforts with senior communication staff and external professionals to advance policy priorities.
- Build and manage committees, councils, task forces, and coalitions of internal and external stakeholder interests to develop and execute policy objectives and defined outcomes.
- Effectively manage a team of internal and external professionals and organizational resources to achieve desired public policy outcomes.
- Ensure compliance of Greater St. Louis Inc.’s public policy, advocacy, and Political Action Committee activities with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Deliver work product and successful outcomes in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and result-driven environment.
- Travel and adapt schedule to unpredictable work hours inherent to public policy, advocacy, and law-making processes.
- Exercise sound and strategic independent judgment within the overall direction and priorities established by the organization.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by Greater St. Louis, Inc.
- May require registration as a lobbyist at the state and/or federal level.
- 10+ years of experience in senior government, public policy, lobbying, political or advocacy leadership roles at the local, state, or federal level (or a combination of the three), including, for example:
- Service in elected or appointed office at the local, state, or federal level, or service as a member of the senior staff to a local, statewide, or federal elected official;
- Significant experience as either a candidate for elected office or as a senior staff member on candidate or significant issue campaigns; or
- Executive or senior management experience in government affairs or public policy at a corporation; industry or trade association; academic or civic institution; or non-profit organization.
- Proven track record of success in the legislative and administrative arenas on matters relating to appropriations, economic development, business climate, social policy, and related matters.
- Clear and meaningful achievements in building and mobilizing winning coalitions; influencing legislative and administrative agendas; and facilitating bipartisan alignment to achieve effective policy outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience managing PAC and 501(c)(4) activities in full compliance with state and federal laws; understanding of how to scale up such activities quickly and effectively.
- Experience leading nimble, dispersed teams of both direct reports and contracted resources with clear accountability for results.
- Unshakable under pressure; ability to juggle multiple major projects and priorities; adept at working in an ever-changing and often-conflicting environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively across various platforms and channels to inform and persuade diverse stakeholder groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Advanced degree (JD, MBA, MPA, MPP, MSW) or graduate coursework preferred.
Salary and Benefits
- Greater St. Louis, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, holidays, and 401(K) with a Company match.
About Greater St. Louis, Inc.
Greater St. Louis, Inc. is a 501(c)(6) organization of businesses formed through the merger of five private-sector led and St. Louis-focused economic development and civic leadership organizations on January 1, 2021. The five combining organizations were AllianceSTL, Arch to Park, Civic Progress, Downtown STL, Inc., and the St. Louis Regional Chamber. Greater St. Louis, Inc. brings together the business community to help drive economic growth and create opportunities for all with a focus on inclusive growth. As a result of the merger, we are in a position to drive economic growth with a unified voice, a bold agenda, and as one St. Louis metropolitan area that is anchored by a vibrant urban core. Additional information is available at www.GreaterSTLinc.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement of Inclusion
Greater St. Louis, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer which extends equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all qualified individuals, with regard to all terms and conditions of employment.
To inquire about the opportunity, please email Reed@GreaterSTLinc.com with your resume, cover letter including salary expectation, and at least three professional references.
Job posted: 2021-05-04