Chief Public Affairs Officer
Mission and Accountability
Mayo Clinic’s goals to cure, connect and transform healthcare reflect Mayo’s patient focus and distinctive strengths in innovation and excellence, and are expected to sustain Mayo’s role as the premier global healthcare provider. Public Affairs is instrumental in realizing our goals, influencing stakeholders on Mayo Clinic’s work and impact on healthcare. The Chief Public Affairs Officer (CPAO), in partnership with her/his physician partner is accountable for:
- Developing the public affairs strategies and tactics that strengthen Mayo Clinic reputation as the “category of one” in healthcare using the levers of external communications, earned media, governmental relations, community engagement, and staff engagement.
- Deploying digital approaches in public affairs activities to accelerate impact, including use of AI and data analytics and consumer-centric innovation working closely with departments and physician / scientists.
- Leading Mayo’s communications function, including patient communication, staff communication, external news releases, and social media activity on behalf of Mayo overall, and sites, shields, departments and business extensions, including establishing resources for individual staff members.
- Leading Mayo’s government relations activities, including supporting Mayo’s interests at the local, state, federal and global levels.
- Working with Mayo’s sites on community engagement, working on local priorities including community wellbeing, health equities, diversity and inclusion and talent pipelines.
- Consulting with Mayo’s business extensions – platform and international – on all public affairs activities to accelerate their growth strategies.
- Partnering with:
- Marketing and Digital on strategies and campaigns to elevate Mayo’s reputation and increase Mayo’s brand presence.
- Development and Mayo’s sites/shields on benefactor activities and events that support Mayo’s three shield mission.
- HR, Office of Equity Inclusion and Equity, and the People and Culture Committee to reinforce Mayo’s value-aligned culture through stories, campaigns and programs; as well as form and execute tactics on labor relations and compliance activities.
- Executive Office in communication, events, and other public affairs activities.
- Nurturing a culture of agility, empowerment, innovation and transparency within the Public Affairs Development, Shared Services, and Mayo overall.
The CPAO reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and is the administrative partner to the Medical Director of Public Affairs who reports to the President and CEO. The CPAO works collaboratively with Mayo leadership, including the President and CEO, destination site CEOs, Executive Deans of Practice, Education and Research, Presidents of International, Mayo Clinic Health System and Platform, and physician and administrative colleagues.
The CPAO serves as a member of leadership groups within Mayo Clinic, including Mayo Clinic Executive Operating Team and Mayo Clinic Administrative Team.
- Measured increase in Mayo Clinic’s reputation
- Influence on government policy and decisions that serve Mayo’s patients
- High satisfaction of services provided to internal clients, including sites/shields, departments and functions
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, with Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years of leadership experience in a comprehensive public affairs function with a large, complex organization.
- Passion and track record of contemporary public affairs programs and activities, including use of AI, data analytics, digital tactics, and social media.
- Excellent relationship skills, forming trust-based relationships with internal (e.g., site, shield, department leaders) and external stakeholders (e.g., government officials, media contacts).
- Excellent written, interpersonal and public presentation skills.
- Innovative, independent thinker and working leader.
- Excellent team leadership skills to inspire, lead and guide staff as well as to interact effectively with high level contacts within and outside the organization.
- Role model and moral compass for the Department of Public Affairs with the highest level of integrity.
- Credible steward of culture, diversity, innovation and change.
- The primary work location will be Rochester, MN
- Some travel required to Mayo Clinic’s sites and other business related venues
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Job posting number
Equal opportunity employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-03