Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Clean Ocean Associate – Environment California
Environment California Campaign Associate
Join the Environment California Ocean and Coasts team as the Clean Ocean Associate.
California’s iconic sandy beaches and dramatic coastline are some of the most beautiful parts of our state, and an important habitat for wildlife, from sandpipers to sea turtles and the California sea otters. Unfortunately, our ocean and coastline are facing threats: for too long oil drilling has spilled toxic oil into our ocean, overfishing has depleted our ocean of life, and our waste-producing society has created a plastic pollution nightmare. On top of this, climate change is wreaking havoc on ocean ecosystems.
That is why Environment California runs the campaign to Defend our Oceans, to protect our marine environments from further destruction.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead this campaign and work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts to run a strategic campaign to Defend our Oceans.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team by recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $31,000 – $31,500 in the first year. Environment California offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Fill out our online application
Sacramento or Oakland
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis.
Environment California is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment California is an equal opportunity employer and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Job posted: 2022-11-10