Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Clean Water Policy Advocate for Environment America
Environment America Clean Water Advocate
Clean water is a core environmental value. Our rivers, lakes and streams are central to nature and our engagement with it. We swim, fish, canoe, kayak or just wonder at the stunning scenery and wildlife around our waterways. They provide us with clean drinking water. We should be doing all we can to protect them.
Next year, the Clean Water Act turns 50. Yet we still have billions of gallons of sewage overflows, millions of lead pipes, and thousands of polluters dumping into our waterways. It’s time to dramatically upgrade our water infrastructure, and shift our economy from pollution to prevention, so that all our water is clean.
Environment America is seeking a Clean Water Advocate to advance solutions to the biggest pollution challenges facing our waterways. The Clean Water Advocate will work with our experienced team of lobbyists, researchers, organizers, and communications experts on advocacy campaigns for bold policy changes that win the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans.
If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on these issues, then this could be the right job for you.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Advocacy: Present a compelling case for strong action on clean water to decision–makers through lobbying, testifying at hearings, and producing powerful written materials.
- Coalition building: Engage support from diverse and powerful allies and cultivate relationships with them over time.
- Media and visibility: Earn media attention and digital visibility, and build relationships with reporters. Speak and network at conferences to become a recognized expert on the issues.
- Program development: Participate in policy development, engage in research, and help create winning strategies and powerful messaging for our clean water program.
- Grassroots mobilization: Mobilize citizens with compelling and timely opportunities for action.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and raise money from donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns.
- Recruitment: Recruit staff, interns and volunteers to increase our impact.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker with excellent judgment and discretion.
- A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
- Well-organized and able to track multiple campaign projects and organizational priorities such as fundraising and recruitment.
- Three plus years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- A team player, with the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. We value experience with campaigns, advocacy at the federal level and grassroots organizing. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, fill out our online application at https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/apply_46.html.
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2022-07-12