Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager
The Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager supports the operations of the Voices for National Service coalition, including member services, event production, budget management, communications, and more. The role manages Voices for National Service’s digital platforms, including the website, email action alerts, and social media accounts, and collaborates with City Year’s Federal Affairs team to create and execute digital content that aligns with policy and advocacy priorities.
City Year is seeking a highly skilled Manager of Coalition Operations and Outreach to join the Federal Affairs and National Service Policy team in our Washington, D.C. based office. This position will play a central role in ensuring the smooth daily operations of the Federal Affairs team and the Voices for National Service coalition, including member services, in person and virtual events, digital communications, and budget management.
City Year has a strong record of accomplishment in the area of public policy, most notably helping to inspire the creation of AmeriCorps in 1993. Today, City Year is investing in the powerful and unique potential of national service to advance educational opportunities and to build a more equitable, just, and hopeful future by creating environments where each person has a chance to maximize their potential. City Year has worked to cultivate and leverage a broad base of political and public support and elevate national service as powerful policy strategy for tackling unmet need, preparing young people for work, uniting our country, and developing civic character.
City Year serves as the organizational and operational host of Voices for National Service, a diverse coalition of national, state, and local service organizations working to build bipartisan support for AmeriCorps, develop policies to expand and strengthen national service opportunities for all Americans, and ensure a robust federal investment in the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). City Year’s Federal Affairs and National Service Policy Department, including the Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager, serves as the staff of Voices for National Service.
This position, reporting to the Advocacy and Outreach Director, will collaborate with staff members across City Year departments like Marketing and Communications, Development, and Finance, as well as with external partners from the nonprofit, business, and government sectors. The successful candidate will be a self-driven, well-organized, and tech-savvy individual who is skilled at managing multiple priorities and can work both collaboratively and independently.
Member Services (30%)
- Identify and develop opportunities to expand Voices membership and engage current members
- Manage Voices for National Service annual membership campaign: create and send invoices, work across departments to process payments and track dues collection, and maintain accurate contact records for members
- Work across City Year teams to identify partnership, sponsorship, and other development opportunities for Voices for National Service
- Develop and implement stewardship plans for Voices for National Service Business Council, Champions Circle, and Steering Committee
- Support grant writing, management, and reporting
- Respond to support requests from Voices for National Service members
- Support the development, production, and execution of several events, including the Friends of National Service Awards, congressional briefings, policy forums, Capitol Hill Days, in-district events, Days of Action, and web-based events, trainings, meetings, and conference calls.
- Responsibilities throughout these events could include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Work collaboratively with members of the Federal Affairs team to develop a vision and theme for the event
o Manage vendor relationships with venue, catering, a/v, printing, videographer, photographer, and others as needed
o Manage event communications and content creation, working with City Year Marketing and Communications team to help design electronic invitations, webpage, signage, and other event collateral
o Manage and support event registration system and manage guest communications
o Lead event team in week- and day- of event execution
o Facilitate technology for attendees during virtual events
o Write and create content for website, hosted on WordPress platform, as well as Voices for National Service social media platforms
o Design and execute successful social media strategy, including pre, during, and post event coverage, for all Voices events
Digital Communications (25%)
- Working with the Director, Advocacy and Outreach, maintain and update Voices for National Service website, social media channels, and email lists
- Moderate, produce, and create content for Voices for National Service website and social media channels, including managing comprehensive year-round social media calendar
- Help plan events for digital advocacy and member engagement, particularly around legislative priorities
- Serve as Federal Affairs Team liaison to City Year Marketing & Communications team; join monthly interdepartmental communications calls; collaborate on developing national service-related content for City Year audiences
- Develop targeting analysis/strategy to grow Voices for National Service digital engagement, including email and social media
- Work with City Year graphic design team on creation of digital graphics
Budget and Finance (20%)
- Support Voices for National Service/Federal Affairs Dept Leaders in developing and managing annual budget
o Serve as the point person to City Year Finance and Development teams
o Track expenses and revenue
o Create invoices and process payments, managing external vendor relationships (includes consultants, website, software, etc)
- Report to coalition leadership quarterly on budget actuals and yearly projections
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
We are looking for an individual who has experience with nonprofit management, membership services, project management, and digital communications. Successful candidates are self-motivated and enjoy working within a fast-paced environment. Ideally, they would have an understanding of, or an interest in, national service and education issues. We seek someone who desires to be part of and contribute to a team effort and has a demonstrated aptitude for project management. You can effectively make the switch from operating independently on multiple projects to collaborating on strategies and vision with your team and partners. You are self-motivated to solve a problem on your own, but also not afraid to reach out for assistance or guidance when it is needed. You are ideally motivated by City Year’s mission and values, and possess a deep commitment to diversity, belonging, inclusion, and equity (DBIE), and a strong willingness to continue your own ongoing learning and growth in these areas. In addition, you have many of the following qualifications:
- Minimum 3-4 years of progressively increasing experience in project management, nonprofit member services, event production, or related field.
- Excellent communication skills (written, interpersonal, and oral/presentation), and the ability to apply to a broad range of modalities.
- Experience in content creation and management of organizational social media accounts, particularly Facebook and Twitter.
- Highly proficient with platforms such as WordPress or other CMS, Every Action or other CRM software, and HTML.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Spark or Canva, or other graphic design services is a plus.
- Working knowledge of advocacy software such as EveryAction and CQKnowlegis is helpful (similar tools include Salsa Labs, Nation Builder, Convio, NGP VAN, and Bloomberg Government.)
- Highly proficient in office-based software and computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to lead a team with vision, manage up when necessary, and own projects assigned to them.
- Efficient initiative, follow through, and time management skills including the ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong personal organization and attention to detail.
- National service/AmeriCorps experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of the federal government, a desire to work with both Democrats and Republicans, and an interest in the political process is a plus.
- Experience in coalition-building and/or grassroots activation is a plus.
Must be comfortable with some administrative work, it comes with the nature of the small team and type of work.
Compensation Range: $45,000 – $60,000 (Advancement opportunities available).
Please submit a resume and a cover letter by following the application instructions found on the City Year job posting: Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager (myworkdayjobs.com)
Job posted: 2022-05-14