Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager
Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager
ABOUT CITY YEAR
Founded in 1988, City Year is an education-focused national service organization and is seen as a leader in the national service movement. The organization was created with the goal of dramatically increasing participation in national service and was an early model for the federal AmeriCorps program. City Year has always been about developing and nurturing young people and believes that investing in them contributes to strong and vibrant communities.
Today City Year is contributing to a clearer and bolder vision of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration, and positive risk-taking, where every student feels connected to the school community; where data informs practices that promote student growth and achievement; and where all students have access to positive relationships and personalized learning environments that encourage them to persevere through challenges, build on their strengths, and thrive.
Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, City Year operates with 1,000 total staff members, a $180 million operating budget, and locations in 29 cities across the country and two international affiliates. Each year, City Year deploys AmeriCorps members (aged 18-25) organized into diverse teams to serve as student success coaches, providing support to students, classrooms, and whole school communities to help ensure that students in systemically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them to succeed academically and in life. Last year, over 3,000 City Year AmeriCorps members worked with over 226,000 students across 350 systemically under-resourced schools.
City Year is seeking a highly skilled Manager of Coalition Operations and Outreach to join our Federal Affairs and National Service Policy team in our Washington, D.C. based office. This position will play a central role in ensuring the smooth daily operations of the of the Federal Affairs team and the Voices for National Service coalition, including member services, in person and virtual events, digital communications, and budget management.
City Year has a strong record of accomplishment in the area of public policy, most notably helping to inspire the creation of AmeriCorps in 1993. Today, City Year is investing in the powerful and unique potential of national service to advance educational opportunities and to build a more equitable, just, and hopeful future by creating environments where each person has a chance to maximize their potential. City Year has worked to cultivate and leverage a broad base of political and public support and elevate national service as powerful policy strategy for tackling unmet need, preparing young people for work, uniting our country, and developing civic character.
City Year serves as the organizational and operational host of Voices for National Service, a diverse coalition of national, state, and local service organizations working to build bipartisan support for AmeriCorps, develop policies to expand and strengthen national service opportunities for all Americans, and ensure a robust federal investment in the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). City Year’s Federal Affairs and National Service Policy Department, including the Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager, serves as the staff of Voices for National Service.
This position, reporting to the Advocacy and Outreach Director will collaborate with staff members across City Year departments like Marketing and Communications, Development, and Finance, as well as with external partners from the nonprofit, business, and government sectors. The successful candidate will be a self-driven, well-organized, and tech-savvy individual who is skilled at managing multiple priorities and can work both collaboratively and independently.
- National service/AmeriCorps experience a plus
The Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager supports the operations of the Voices for National Service coalition, including member services, event production, budget management, communications, and more. The role manages Voices for National Service’s digital platforms, including the website, email action alerts, and social media accounts, and collaborates with the rest of the Federal Affairs team to create and execute digital content that aligns with policy and advocacy priorities.
Member Services (30%)
- Identify and develop opportunities to expand Voices membership and engage current members
- Manage Voices for National Service annual membership campaign: create and send invoices, work across departments to process payments and track dues collection, and maintain accurate contact records for members
- Work across City Year teams to identify partnership, sponsorship, and other development opportunities for Voices for National Service
- Develop and implement stewardship plans for Voices for National Service Business Council, Champions Circle, and Steering Committee
- Support grant writing, management, and reporting
- Respond to support requests from Voices for National Service members
- Support the development, production, and execution of several events, including the Friends of National Service Awards, congressional briefings, policy forums, Capitol Hill Days, in-district events, Days of Action, and web-based events, trainings, meetings, and conference calls.
- Responsibilities throughout these events could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work collaboratively with members of the Federal Affairs team to develop a vision and theme for the event
- Manage vendor relationships with venue, catering, a/v, printing, videographer, photographer, and others as needed
- Manage event communications and content creation, working with City Year MarComms team to help design the program, signage, collateral, electronic invitations, webpage, and more
- Manage and support event registration system and manage guest communications
- Lead event team in week- and day- of event execution
- Facilitate technology for attendees during virtual events
- Write and create content for website, hosted on WordPress platform, as well as Voices for National Service social media platforms
- Design and execute successful social media strategy, including pre, during, and post event coverage, for all Voices events
Digital Communications (25%)
- Working with the Director, Advocacy and Outreach, maintain and update Voices for National Service website, social media channels, and email lists
- Moderate, produce, and create content for Voices for National Service website and social media channels, including managing comprehensive year-round social media calendar
- Help plan events for digital advocacy and member engagement, particularly around legislative priorities
- Serve as Federal Affairs Team liaison to City Year Marketing & Communications team; join monthly interdepartmental communications calls; collaborate on developing national service-related content for City Year audiences
- Develop targeting analysis/strategy to grow Voices for National Service digital engagement, including email and social media
- Work with City Year graphic design team on creation of event collateral, digital graphics, and other materials
Budget and Finance (20%)
- Support Voices for National Service/Federal Affairs Dept Leaders in developing and managing annual budget
- Serve as the point person to City Year Finance and Devo teams, to ensure accurate reporting of budget
- Track expenses and revenue
- Create invoices and process payments, managing external vendor relationships (includes consultants, website, software, etc)
- Report to Voices leadership quarterly on budget actuals and yearly projections
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
We are looking for an individual who has experience with nonprofit management, membership services, project management, and digital communications. Successful candidates are self-motivated and enjoy working within a fast-paced environment. Ideally, they would have an understanding of, or an interest in, national service and education issues. We seek someone who desires to be part of and contribute to a team effort and has a demonstrated aptitude for project management. You can effectively make the switch from operating independently on multiple projects to collaborating on strategies and vision with your team and partners. You are self-motivated to solve a problem on your own, but also not afraid to reach out for assistance or guidance when it is needed. You should be motivated by City Year’s mission and values, and have a deep commitment to diversity, belonging, inclusion, and equity (DBIE), and a strong willingness to continue your own ongoing learning and growth in these areas. In addition, you have many of the following qualifications:
- Minimum 3-4 years of progressively increasing experience in project management, nonprofit member services, event production, or related field.
- Experience in content creation and management of organizational social media accounts, particularly Facebook and Twitter.
- Excellent communication skills (written, interpersonal, and oral/presentation), and the ability to apply to a broad range of modalities.
- Highly proficient with platforms such as WordPress or other CMS, Every Action or other CRM software, and HTML.
- Working knowledge of advocacy software such as EveryAction and CQKnowlegis is helpful (similar tools include Salsa Labs, Nation Builder, Convio, NGP VAN, and Bloomberg Government.)
- Highly proficient in office-based software and computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Efficient initiative, follow through, and time management skills including the ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong personal organization and attention to detail.
- Experience with or interest in public policy, education, and/or national service a plus.
- National service/AmeriCorps experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of the federal government, a desire to work with both Democrats and Republicans, and an interest in the political process is a plus.
- Experience in coalition-building and/or grassroots activation is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Spark or Canva, or other graphic design services is a plus.
- Ability to lead a team with vision, manage up when necessary, and own projects assigned to them.
Must be comfortable with some administrative work, it comes with the nature of the small team and type of work.
Compensation Range: $55,000 – $60,000 (Advancement opportunities available).
City Year is committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Full time employees will be eligible for all benefits including vacation and sick days, and organization holidays. You may participate in all benefits programs that City Year establishes and makes available to eligible employees, under (and subject to all provisions of) the plan documents that govern those programs. Currently, City Year offers medical, dental, and vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment, and disability coverage, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), other benefits including 401(K) plan(s) pursuant to terms and conditions of company policy and the 401(K)-plan document. For more information, click here.
Employment at City Year is at-will.
City Year does not sponsor work authorization visas.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our employees and AmeriCorps members and their families, our students and school partners, and the community at large from COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is requirement for employment and service – all staff members, including remote staff, and AmeriCorps members are required to fully vaccinated by November 19, 2021 or by your state date if after November 19, 2021. If you are unable to be fully vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the organization pursuant to applicable law. Notwithstanding any language herein, City Year will comply with any state, local, or federal orders, statutes, or regulations that may conflict with the COVID-19 vaccination policy.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of a single-dose vaccination (Johnson & Johnson).
To apply, candidates should visit the application link at Coalition Operations and Outreach Manager (myworkdayjobs.com)
Job posted: 2021-12-15