Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communication and Public Involvement Specialist
Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP is initiating a search for an Associate Consultant in Communications and Public Involvement for our energy practice in the New York/Northeast region.
The position will support the public involvement portion of the construction of a major linear energy project. The position may support other WSP communications and public involvement efforts in the Northeast as needed. The position is part of WSP’s national Communications & Public Involvement Practice. This is an exciting opportunity to join our national team of talented communications and public outreach/public information professionals.
- Serve as an on the ground liason between the project and the community
- Implement effective public outreach strategies for this high profile infrastructure project
- Perform public involvement tasks to develop effective strategies that solicit feedback and input from the public
- Implement strategic messages that educate the community on the purpose, need, benefits and perceived impacts of projects and programs.
- Coordinate and participate in public meetings and community events with various neighborhood groups or other stakeholders as assigned. Availability to work some nights and weekends, as needed
- Provide input on responses to public inquiries and escalated stakeholder issues.
- Implement strategic social media outreach plans including the research, writing and vetting of various posts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.)
- Research and write content for a variety of communication channels, including website, social media, talking points, presentations, marketing materials and media notifications
- Monitor, archive and escalate media coverage of project issues
- Research and possibly respond to a variety of media requests in a timely manner
- Analyze the effectiveness of outreach campaigns, including website and social media content
- Direct the work of support services such as graphic design, website development, video, and photography
- Work closely with project teams and clients on communications alignment with client priorities and program messaging
- Attend external project, agency, and community meetings to provide public involvement updates and identify public involvement issues
- Identify opportunities for community and professional involvement for the project team
- Build strong relationships with clients and assist with business development activities
- Interact in a clear and concise manner with a variety of diverse audiences
- Perform other duties as assigned or required by WSP USA Inc. and our clients
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism or a related field
- Minimum of 1-3 years of communications experience in either or both the construction and energy industries
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Superior organizational, time management and creative skills
- Proven experience writing content for website, social media, and media notifications
- Ability to understand and translate complex, technical information into easy-to-understand content for public consumption
- High attention to detail; proofreading skills
- Deadline driven with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Proven experience using social media for outreach campaigns
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to work effectively with teams and demonstrate initiative to lead tasks
- Ability to work well with the public and interact effectively with all organizational levels, including senior management
- Work experience in public information and communication for energy and/or construction projects
Compensation and Benefits:
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
Expected Salary: $55,900 – $76,500
WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: N/A – No travel required
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: NEW YORK – PENN PLAZA
- All locations: US-NY-Albany, US-NY-Binghamton, US-NY-Buffalo, US-NY-Dale, US-NY-Goshen, US-NY-Hauppauge, US-NY-Hawthorne, US-NY-Horseheads, US-NY-Lancaster, US-NY-Latham, US-NY-Long Island City, US-NY-New York, US-NY-Pittsford, US-NY-Rochester, US-NY-Troy, US-NY-Utica, US-NY-Valhalla
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world’s leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-06