Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications and Marketing Specialist (E5698) – 230199: KNW-B20
The overall purpose of this position is to manage IEEE-USA’s brand perception, public and media relations to favorably position and market IEEE-USA products, programs, services and advocacy positions not only to the public, but internally across the organization.
The incumbent in this position is primarily responsible for helping IEEE-USA meet its communications goals in the areas of legislative and career-enhancement, while influencing opinion leaders, policy makers, decision makers, and volunteers through a variety of digital media.
This position will be a key player within a dynamic communications team and is critical to the continued growth of our organization including sales and revenue. This position is located in the IEEE-USA Washington, DC office and reports directly to the Director of Communications & IT.
- Synchronize efforts with IEEE-USA’s Communications team and work effectively with other department heads across IEEE-USA, IEEE and other Organizational Unit’s.
- Develop plans to highlight IEEE-USA products, services, public policy work and events. Research, create and coordinate broadcast and print media opportunities. Find creative and engaging ways to tell IEEE-USA’s story.
- Implement, track and optimize digital marketing campaigns across all digital channels-web, SEO/SEM, PPC, email, social media, and display advertising. Assist Director in the development of these campaigns.
- Establish and maintain media relations with local, and national print/broadcast media, as well as online/digital outlets including bloggers, journalists, website owners, and influencers.
- Support on all aspects of brand visibility: pitching, drafting content, securing coverage, calendaring, product placement, events, media alerts and partnerships… etc. Work with Comms team to develop and execute a strategic and integrated PR/Media plan to build brand awareness.
- Serve as publicist and facilitate interviews between IEEE-USA staff/volunteers and the press, including development of internal documents (e.g. key messages, Q&A, and talking points).
- Create written materials including press releases and media advisories and/or assist other staff members with doing the same.
- Coordinate the production of creative collateral materials (e.g. marketing materials and brochures and digital assets.)
- Coordinate and support innovative marketing campaigns to target prospects including working with Communications Director and staff on messaging, calls to action, necessary landing pages, etc.
- Contribute editorial content to IEEE-USA Insight digital magazine.
- Ensure all collateral, messaging, and websites for the programs are aligned
- Maintain calendar of IEEE-USA programs and events, anticipating opportunities in advance and to maintain awareness of competing priorities. Work with volunteer VP Communications & Conference Committee to ensure highest public visibility and best use of budget.
- Analyze, summarize and develop conclusions, recommending improvements to increase efficiency and output. Prepare qualitative and quantitative analysis and reports as requested.
- Working with the Director of Communications and the Social Media Associate, assist with social media editorial calendar, create content, and assist efforts to leverage visibility and media coverage on social channels.
- Update product websites with latest product news and information and provide site maintenance as necessary.
- Stay informed and share new media and social media/digital trends, as well as industry case studies. Scan media outlets and social media sites daily relevant IEEE-USA/IEEE stories or industry news and share with the rest of the Communications team or staff as appropriate.
- Produce multimedia communications content, including but not limited to – a webinars, conference video/audio highlights, on camera/audio interviews, video/audio news briefs, promotional videos, etc..
- Staff IEEE-USA financially co-sponsored conference events. Includes setup and tear down of booth and displays, on site interviews (both audio and video) and event photography/multimedia. Attend steering committee or related meetings on behalf of IEEE-USA.
VOLUNTEER & VENDOR INTERACTION
- Coordinate communications activity with various marketing firms, vendors and agencies, partners. Lead IEEE-USA volunteer committees as needed from the staff side of things, providing support, continuity & guidance as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years Public Relations, Media, Marketing or related experience
Skills and Requirements
- Attention to detail. Excellent writing and copy-editing skills.
- WordPress/Content Management Software.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & TikTok, LinkedIn) content posting/editing tools and scheduling.
- Knowledge of business, advertising, sales, and media relations, as well as strong organizational, creative writing, research, and public speaking skills.
- Experience promoting products, services and/or positions. Knowledge of career and technology policy a plus (though not necessary) along with the ability to demonstrate innovation and creativity in presenting issues in the scientific, technical, and/or engineering areas.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop or graphic editing/image design skills.
- Ability to work with media/journalists securing media coverage and activity/interest on social media channels.
- Comfort with appearing on camera and recorded audio both as an announcer/interviewer and spokesperson articulating IEEE-USA benefits of membership, products and policy positions in a favorable manner.
- Video/Audio Production experience is a plus. Adobe Audition, Premiere, Final Cut, Canva or related programs.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under Category I – Office Positions.
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description is proprietary to IEEE. It outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-25