The Communications Associate is an entry-level position in the Community Affairs group and will have dual responsibility for campus tour support, and overall functional project support in the areas of Communication and Public Affairs. This is a two-year development program designed to develop strong functional knowledge within the discipline of Public Affairs through in-depth rotations in digital, internal and external communications, and crisis management. Program participants are expected to successfully complete each rotation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creating content and interacting with corporate visitors and the general public to provide guided tours of the SC Johnson campus and properties
- Managing the scheduling of Company programs and tours
- Sharing information on Company products, activities, and history;
- Supporting other Community Affairs activities as assigned, including:
- Creating content for tours on at least an annual basis in the Frank Lloyd Wright Gallery and other corporate tours
- Developing and leading Community Interest Programs, Kaleidoscope Educational Series programs (school field trips), and other special events
- Developing and scripting of tours
- Leading/scheduling/training seasonal contractor tour guide staff
- Assisting with the creation of digital, written and paid marketing and promotional materials
- Creating communication messaging and materials to support various groups within the Communications team including, but not limited to, drafting announcements, press releases, scripts, newsletters, etc.
- Providing support for the Company’s social media efforts
- Planning and coordinating Company events
- Other duties as assigned
- During peak tour season, will include covering events/tours on weekends
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, mass communication or related field
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- One year of experience (internships included) in communications, public affairs and/or community affairs preferred
- Proficient experience with digital media – Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Proficient experience with Microsoft Word and Excel and PowerPoint
- Possess time management/project management skills
- Exceptional written communication skills including formal business writing and review
- Superior oral presentation and communication skills
- Critical thinking/quick decision-making skills
- Ability to think “on your feet” to answer questions from the public
- Ability to work well in a team environment and interact with people from different backgrounds
- Being enthusiastic and friendly
- Full-time position
- Ability to work flexible hours: days, evenings, and weekends
- During peak tour seasons a non-traditional schedule will be in place (ie: 4/2/6/2)
- Potential travel: 10%
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-15