Who We Are
The Learning Policy Institute is a national nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that conducts and communicates independent, high-quality research to shape policies that improve learning for each and every child. We are a robust team of 50+ who work with policymakers, researchers, educators, community groups, and others who care about improving public schools to advance evidence-based policies that support empowering and equitable learning for all children.
The Learning Policy Institute (LPI) is seeking an individual to join its communications team to help produce, publish, and disseminate its research and policy products and events across a range of platforms and for a variety of audiences. The candidate will be part of a six-member team that supports multiple communications activities for the organization.
The ideal candidate has excellent skills in writing, social media and web content production, with the ability to manage a wide variety of projects. The candidate has worked previously in the communications field for a nonprofit, public relations, or similar firm. The candidate is flexible, curious, and organized, enjoys working as part of a team and has a passion for fostering equity and access to a high-quality education for all students. This position is based in either LPI’s Washington, DC, or Palo Alto, CA office.
- Create and format content for LPI social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and email campaigns through MailChimp.
- Collaborate in the conception and implementation of social media campaigns, including developing social media toolkits and scripting Twitter chats.
- Support and manage content workflow for the website.
- Assist with website maintenance, process and management.
- Help with web and social media analytics.
- Draft and proofread a range of outreach content, including web content, eblast text, media advisories, press releases, and other content as needed.
- Monitor media coverage of LPI and scan to identify potential news hooks, trends, and emerging opposition.
- Support and initiate outreach to key organizations to share LPI research and policy work and arrange for coverage in partner outlets, including newsletters, magazines, journals, and social media.
Webinars and Events
- Assist with organizing webinars, including tech prep for panel members and drafting and finalizing webinar collateral, e.g., slides.
- Support onsite LPI events, including preparing event collateral and assisting with registration platform set-up and monitoring.
- Help expand and maintain LPI’s media, partner, and other databases.
- Help manage and track invoices for web and outreach maintenance services such as web hosting and email marking services.
Other tasks, as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education and experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- 2–4 years’ experience in communications, public relations, or related field.
- Interest in education and equity policy and/or research.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Exceptional attention to detail in work quality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience across a range of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Basic Adobe Photoshop skills for light image editing.
- Experience with email marketing platforms, e.g., MailChimp.
Preferred but Not Required
- Familiarity with Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems (e.g., Drupal).
- Basic Illustrator skills.
- Basic HTML.
- Passion for ensuring that all children receive empowering and equitable learning, especially historically underserved students.
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to both work independently and foster collaborative working relationships, and to work well in a team-setting.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence and equity.
- Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment.
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and three professional references here.
Job posted: 2020-05-19